About Dr. Rakesh Suri,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Rakesh Suri and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1995. To date, I have performed approximately 7,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 5,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at Cleveland Clinic. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is helping patients return to a normal life.
Heart valve disease with or without symptoms is very common in young healthy people, and the ability to restore health in my patients is the most fulfilling thing I can imagine doing in life. I consider it a privilege to serve patients by simplifying and effectively managing their complicated heart valve problems.
My greatest privilege as a heart surgeon is working with the incredible multidisciplinary Heart and Vascular team at the Cleveland Clinic to understand what mechanical disorder exists in the patient’s heart, make the solution understandable, surround patients with the excellence of the team and offer the best approach for each patient, from robotic, to less invasive to standard heart surgery.
My goal is to help patients feel safe and get them back to normal health so they can live happy, fulfilled lives.
3 Patient Reviews for
"I consider my surgeon, Dr. Suri, to be one of the best in the world in the robotic field. He explained everything completely and was willing to answer any questions and respond to any concerns that I had."
-- Dan Burk, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 02/22/2012
"Dr. Suri was excellent. He did a great job in explaining the procedure and continued to fully explain what had happened and what was expected after the surgery was complete. He never left the room until I had all of my questions answered to my complete understanding. I believe his skills are at the highest levels. Completely satisfied."
-- David Foran, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 02/22/2012
-- Charles Swinburn, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, Robotic Surgery, 05/05/2011
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Minimally-invasive mitral valve repair including robot-assisted procedures
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVr) and transcatheter mitral valve replacement (TMVR)
- Multiple and complex heart valve surgery
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Innovation and next-generation devices for mitral valve repair
- Development and advancement of transcatheter technologies
- Clinical research which has resulted in 340 peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters, 15 patents granted or under review, and several FDA multicenter trials
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Rakesh Suri, heart surgeon, graduated from University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine in 1995.
After medical school, Dr. Suri completed a General Surgery Residency at the University of Toronto in 2002 and a Cardiac Surgery Fellowship at Saint Michael's Hospital in 2003. Dr. Suri also completed a Thoracic Surgery Residency at Mayo College of Medicine in 2006.
During his career, Dr. Suri has received many awards and acknowledgments including:
* Doctorate in Transplant Immunology – Magdalen College, Oxford, U.K. * 2005 O.T. Clagett Award, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Mayo Clinic * 2000 Harrison Teaching Award, Department of Surgery, University of Toronto * 2000 R.J. Filbert Vancouver Foundation Fellowship Award, Mayo Foundation * 1996 Travel/Research Grant Pediatric AIDS, Rhodes Foundation * 1995 William V. Hull Scholarship, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1995 Gordon Cressy Award, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1995 Medical Honor Society Award, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1995-98 Rhodes Scholarship, Rhodes Trust, Magdalen College, Oxford, U.K. * 1994 Northern Ontario Medical Program Scholarship, Government of Ontario, Canada * 1993 Walter F. Watkins Scholarship, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1993 International Health Program Scholarship, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1993 Crocker Foundation Award, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1992 Walter F. Watkins Scholarship, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1992 Bronze Cross Award, Royal Life Saving Society * 1991-94 Honors Standing in Medicine: Years I-IV, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto * 1991-94 Armando and Nicolina Pavone Award, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
Dr. Suri is board-certified by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
with Dr. Rakesh Suri, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Suri, you can:
- Call (216) 539-4742 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Suri is located at 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Suri’s office.
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Rakesh Suri
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Rakesh Suri:
Page last updated: July 20, 2021