About Dr. Douglas Johnston,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Douglas Johnston and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1998. To date, I have performed approximately 4,000 cardiac surgeries, of which over 3,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Read more...
19 Patient Reviews for
"Dr. Johnston performed the minimally invasive aortic valve replacement with great skill and compassion and the results were amazing. I was ready to leave the ICU after 24 hours and discharged from the hospital after only 3 nights.
Dr. Johnston was incredibly efficient (only 40 minutes "cross clamped"), and I had no confusion or cognitive fuzziness in recovery. I was off of narcotic pain relievers when I left the hospital and I was taking long outdoor walks after a week. By my two week check-in, I described myself as feeling "shockingly good."
In addition to the great skill and results, Dr. Johnston is a thoughtful, caring, and calming clinician. He took all the time necessary to explain to me the procedure and the path forward."
-- Dave Rosenbloom, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 09/19/2023
"All I can say about Dr. Johnston is that he is heaven sent. My care was handled with compassion, confidence, care and respect. He was confident and reassuring during my consultation with him. He answered all my questions and took some unscheduled time to meet with me since I was only there for a 1 day consultation from California. "
-- Kim Clemens, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Mini Sternotomy, 03/31/2022
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Minimally invasive aortic valve surgery
- Reoperative valve surgery
- Aortic root surgery
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Minimally invasive aortic valve surgery
- Long term outcomes after bioprosthetic valve replacement
- Predicative modeling to improve outcomes after heart surgery
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Douglas Johnston, heart surgeon, graduated from Harvard Medical School in 1998.
After medical school, Dr. Johnston completed a General Surgery Residency from Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston and a Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery Residency at the Cleveland Clinic.
In 2022, Dr. Johnston became the Chief of the Division of Cardiac Surgery in the Department of Surgery, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and Surgical Director of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
with Dr. Douglas Johnston, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Johnston, you can:
- Call (312) 757-8837 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Johnston is located at 675 N. St. Clair Street, Chicago, IL 60010. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Johnston’s office.
Watch Educational Videos with Dr. Douglas Johnston
Learn about heart valve surgery from Dr. Johnston in these videos:
Patient Webinar: Lifetime Management of Heart Valve Disease with Dr. Doug Johnston & Dr. Josh Logan
Surgeon Q&A: Radiation Associated Heart Valve Disease with Dr. Douglas Johnston
The Ozaki Procedure: What Should Aortic Valve Patients Know?
Surgeon Q&A: Atrial Fibrillation and Amiodarone After Heart Valve Surgery with Dr. Douglas Johnston
- > Watch More Videos
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Douglas Johnston
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Douglas Johnston:
- Doctor Q&A: What Should Patients Know About Patient Prosthesis Mismatch?
- Northwestern Medicine Taps Douglas R. Johnston, MD, to Lead Cardiac Surgery
- Trifecta Update: Exceptional Hemodynamics Earn Trifecta FDA Approval with Dr. Johnston
- Surgeon Q&A: What Is The Latest Research About Less Invasive Aortic Valve Surgery?
- Heart Valve Surgeon Spotlight: Dr. Douglas Johnston
- Ask Dr. Johnston: "What About Atrial Fibrillation & Amiodarone After Heart Valve Surgery?"
- Surgeon Q&A: Radiation Associated Heart Valve Disease
- Research Alert: The Ozaki Procedure for Aortic Valve Patients
- Patient Webinar: Lifetime Management of Heart Valve Disease with Dr. Doug Johnston
- 46 Patient Questions Answered by Dr. Doug Johnston
Page last updated: February 20, 2024