About Adam Pick, Patient, Author & Founder
For his work as a patient advocate and a high technology consultant, Adam Pick has been featured by the American Heart Association, Heart.org, BusinessWeek, The Wall Street Journal and Medical News Today. A native and current resident of Los Angeles, California, Adam earned a bachelors and a graduate degree from the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan. This website, which Adam created to educate and empower patients, has helped more than 10 million people. Over 325,000 people follow Adam across social media.
As Dr. Marc Gillinov, the Chairman of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, recently stated, "The story of HeartValveSurgery.com is extraordinary. Adam's website fills in important gap for patients."
Reflecting upon the growth of HeartValveSurgery.com, Adam shared, "Having heart surgery was one of the greatest blessings in my life. I feel so lucky to have created an educational resource and community that helps patients at each stage of the surgical process -- from diagnosis through recovery."
On November 3, 2005, Adam learned that he had severe heart valve disease and an enlarged heart. To treat his valvular defect, Adam needed double heart valve replacement surgery. Eight weeks later, Dr. Vaughn Starnes performed aortic and pulmonary valve surgery on Adam at USC Medical Center.
As part of his experience, Adam learned the highs, the lows, the challenges, the opportunities and the frustrations of heart valve surgery. His book, The Patient's Guide To Heart Valve Surgery and his website, HeartValveSurgery.com, represents Adam's personal attempt to support patients and caregivers through the entire heart valve surgery process - from diagnosis to recovery.
In addition to his book, Adam created several educational resources to help fellow patients through the heart valve surgery process including:
- Adam's Free Patient eBooks - Download 10 free eBooks about heart valve disease and treatment options for aortic, mitral, pulmonary and tricuspid valves.
- Heart Valve Learning Center - Visit the Heart Valve Learning Center to access over 1,000 pages of educational information about valvular disorders.
- Patient Community - Meet people just like you in our patient community. There's nothing better than connecting and learning from patients who are sharing their stories in our community.
- Surgeon Finder - Find and research patient-recommended heart surgeons that specialize in heart valve repair and heart valve replacement procedures.
- Heart Hospitals Directory - Learn about medical centers that have dedicated teams and resources that specialize in heart valve therapy.
- Adam's Heart Valve Blog - Get the latest medical news and patient updates from our award-winning blog.
- Educational Videos - Watch over 100 educational videos filmed by the HeartValveSurgery.com film crew about heart valve surgery.
Finally, Adam has transformed this project into a charitable effort. To help children born with congenital heart defects, Adam has donated a portion of the proceeds to Gift of Life International, a non-profit organization dedicated to providing medical treatment to kids suffering from cardiac disorders.
On January 8, 2021, Adam announced that HeartValveSurgery.com had sponsored the cardiac surgery of Traver, a 22-month old boy from Uganda who has a complex cardiac condition.
Page last updated: January 17, 2021