Penn Medicine Heart and Vascular Center
At Penn Medicine’s Heart and Vascular Center, our mission is to be at the forefront of innovative care, to improve clinical outcomes and to provide exceptional health care for patients with or at risk for heart and vascular disease. In the 2020-2021 U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings, The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania-Penn Presbyterian was ranked #1 in Pennsylvania and #19 in the nation for Cardiology and Heart Surgery.
Penn’s Medicine’s Heart Valve Disease Program is one of the largest in the mid-Atlantic region. Because our Heart Valve Disease Program is comprised of both cardiac surgeons and interventional cardiologists, treatments for virtually all disorders affecting the cardiac valves—including combined procedures and valve-sparing procedures—are available at every stage of disease.
Penn performed its first transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) in 2007 and is now one of the top five TAVR programs in the county. We also rate as high-performing in aortic valve surgery according to U.S. News & World Report. In 2003, Penn performed the second MitraClip in the United States, and is a leading institution for robotic and minimally invasive mitral valve surgery.
When our experts treat your valve disease, you can count on:
- Renowned surgical skills
- Experienced leaders in catheter-based interventions
- Aortic disease expertise through Penn’s dedicated Aortic Center
- Complete care for bicuspid aortic valve disease
- Superior safety standards
- Accessible research and clinical trials
Penn Medicine Heart and Vascular Center has two locations in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The two addresses are Penn Medicine Heart and Vascular Center at 3400 Civic Center Boulevard, East Pavilion, 2nd Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104 and Penn Presbyterian Medical Center at 51 N. 39th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Experienced and Innovative Care for Complex Valve Conditions
Mitral Valve Disease Program
Penn Medicine’s Mitral Valve Program is one of the largest, most experienced in the mid-Atlantic region. Our team of experts, including surgeons, cardiologists, imaging experts, and dedicated nurses, work together to diagnose, treat, and provide long-term monitoring for patients with both common and complex mitral valve diseases.
We are proud to perform a high volume of procedures each year, leading to the best possible outcomes for patients. Our program leads the way in new options for mitral valve replacement and repair, including minimally invasive transcatheter and robotic valve procedures that were developed and perfected at Penn, as well as open-heart surgical options. Your multidisciplinary care team will focus on what is most important: getting you back to the things you love.Learn more.
What We Offer to Our Patients
- Prompt and coordinated clinical evaluation and testing
- Careful monitoring and evaluation, through the use of advanced imaging technologies, establishing the most effective treatments
- Some of the most experienced physicians in the country at treating mitral valve disease
- Coordination of care with your local physician, including updating on your care and progress
- Access to ongoing, state-of-the-art research and clinical trials aimed at improving treatment options for mitral valve disease
Center for Bicuspid Aortic Valve Diseases
The Center for Bicuspid Aortic Valve Diseases provides comprehensive and coordinated clinical evaluations and monitoring for patients with bicuspid aortic valve and associated aortic aneurysm disease. The team at Penn’s Center for Bicuspid Aortic Valve Diseases will carefully evaluate your clinical and imaging workup to determine an optimal treatment and surveillance plan for you.
Approximately 80% of patients require surgery to repair or replace the valve and part of the aorta. If you do require surgery, know that Penn is a national leading center for the most challenging heart valve cases, offering a variety of approaches not commonly available at other medical centers.
What We Offer to Our Patients
- Prompt and coordinated clinical evaluations and long term surveillance for bicuspid aortic valve disease (BAVD)
- Complex bicuspid aortic valve repair and root reconstruction procedures by surgeon experts
- Capacity to offer an appointment within two weeks with one of our specialists
- Coordination of care with your local physicians, including updates on your care and progress
- BAVD experts provide careful monitoring and evaluation, through the use of advanced imaging modalities, establishing the most effective treatment
- An invitation for your first-degree relatives to participate in the program due to the hereditary nature of BAVD with the availability of combined surgical and genetic visits
- Access to ongoing, state-of-the-art research specifically for BAVD patients and their families
Transcatehter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) was one of 23 hospitals nationwide that participated in the FDA regulated clinical trial examining the use of TAVR as part of the PARTNER clinical trial. Penn Medicine has subsequently been involved in the following studies and clinical trials:
- The Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement to UNload the Left Ventricle in Patients With ADvanced Heart Failure (TAVR UNLOAD)
- PARTNER 3 - Trial - The Safety and Effectiveness of the SAPIEN 3 Transcatheter Heart Valve in Low Risk Patients With Aortic Stenosis
- The PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves - PII A
- The PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves II - PARTNER II - PARTNERII - S3 Intermediate
- The PARTNER II Trial: S3Icap
- PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves II - High Risk and Nested Registry 7
- PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves II - Nested Registry 3/Valve-in-Valve • The PARTNER II Trial: Placement of AoRTic TraNscathetER Valves - PII B
- The PARTNER 3 - AVIV Trial (P3-AVIV)
- Cerebral Protection in Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement
Meet Our Heart Valve Specialists
Penn Medicine Heart and Vascular Center has assembled a special team of heart valve specialists that are committed to getting patients the best results. Our team consists of many leading surgeons and cardiologists that you can learn more about by clicking the links below: