About Dr. Vaughn Starnes,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Vaughn Starnes and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from North Carolina (Chapel Hill) in 1977. To date, I have performed approximately 12,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 4,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at hospitals including USC Cardiac and Vascular Institute and Children's Hospital of Los Angeles. Read more...
123 Patient Reviews for
"Thanks goes to Dr. Starnes for a successful mitral valve repair surgery at the right time!"
-- Debby Tomlinson, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 09/13/2011
"I am 60 years old. My primary doctor noticed a heart murmur and referred me to a cardiologist. An echocardiogram showed that I had severe aortic regurgitation, and I found out I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve.
I was super happy that Dr. Starnes was my surgeon. Everyone tells me he is the best of the best. Dr. Starnes offered me several options (tissue valve vs. Ross vs. mechanical valve), and I decided on the Ross procedure. I did a lot of reading and research. The Ross procedure is an intricate surgery involving replacing two heart valves at the same time. Dr. Starnes is the definitive expert on this. His confidence was what convinced me because I knew I could trust his experience.
That was a little over three months ago, and today I am four weeks past my surgery! Even though I had done a lot of research, I had not fully grasped how intricate the entire surgery was. None of this would have been possible without Dr. Starnes' expertise and his skillfulness. I am very thankful Dr. Starnes was my surgeon."
-- Chi Mak, Aortic Valve, Pulmonary Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, Ross Procedure, 01/17/2024
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Aortic valve replacement including the Ross Procedure
- Mitral valve repair
- Minimally invasive valve repair
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Minimally invasive surgical approaches (robotic, transcatheter)
- Pediatric surgery
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Vaughn Starnes, heart surgeon, graduated from North Carolina (Chapel Hill) in 1977.
After medical school, Dr. Starnes completed a General Surgery Residency at Vanderbilt University and a Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency at Stanford University. Dr. Starnes also completed a fellowship in pediatric cardiovascular surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in London, England.
Dr. Starnes is the Chair of the Department of Surgery, Surgeon-in-Chief at USC Norris Cancer and Keck Hospital. In addition, Dr. Starnes is the H. Russell Smith Foundation Chair for Cardiovascular Thoracic Research at the Keck Medical School of Medicine of USC in Los Angeles, California.
Dr. Starnes was 100th president of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery.
with Dr. Vaughn Starnes, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Starnes, you can:
- Call (888) 536-1766 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Starnes is located at 1520 San Pablo St., Los Angeles, CA 90033. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Starnes’s office.
Watch Educational Video with Dr. Vaughn Starnes
Learn about heart valve surgery from Dr. Starnes in this video:
Mitral Valve Surgery: What Should Patients Know?
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Vaughn Starnes
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Vaughn Starnes:
- Dr. Vaughn Starnes Announced 100th President of American Association for Thoracic Surgery
- Jimmy Kimmels Son Has Life-Saving Cardiac Operation by Dr. Starnes
- Arnold Schwarzenegger: 10 Years After Heart Surgery by Dr. Vaughn Starnes
- Surgeon Q&A: Pediatric Mitral Leaflet Repair with Dr. Starnes
- Patient Story: Nathan Travels from Louisville to Los Angeles for Procedure by Dr. Starnes
- Why Is AFib Treatment My Standard of Care During Heart Valve Surgery?
- Surgeon Q&A: What Should Patients Know About Mitral Valve Surgery?
- COVID-19 Innovation: Telehealth & Cardiac Care
- Expert Surgeon Profile: Vaughn Starnes, MD, at Keck Medicine of USC in Los Angeles, California
- 8-Year Old Gets Successful Heart Valve Surgery Thanks to Dr. Vaughn Starnes
- Patient Success Story: Reed is "Changed" Thanks to Dr. Vaughn Starnes
- Dr. Vaughn Starnes Gets 100 Patient Testimonials at HeartValveSurgery.com
- Dr. Starnes Patient Success Story: 17 Years After Surgery, This Happened
Page last updated: February 14, 2024