My family decorated my hospital bed and now I’m resting. Hard to believe it’s been less than 5 days since the surgery. For all those awaiting your surgery you’ll get through it and be on the other side in no time❤️❤️
Update posted on...
December 7, 2018
I’m being discharged tomorrow after 5 days in the hospital. I can’t wait to continue my recovery at home.
It’s only been a little over 24 hours and recovery is going very well. Left ICU about 3 hours ago and have most of my tubes out. I’ve had a couple meals and am ready to order dinner. I don’t think recovery can go any better. My surgeon stopped by th
Update posted on...
December 4, 2018
Leaving hotel and heading to hospital, wish me luck.
Surgery in less than 24 hours. Probably be last post for a few days. Have my family and Heart Valve family with me🙏 ❤️🙏
Update posted on...
November 30, 2018
My wife found a hospital bed from a friend for my recovery at home. From all the posts I’ve read most say recliners work best but I don’t think I’ve see any posts saying they used a hospital bed for recovering . Am I doing the right thing here?
My last day of work today. Surgery on Tuesday so need to keep busy this weekend. I have to check in at 5:00am so decided to get a hotel close to the hospital. My wife and daughter will be with me during this stressful time.
I go in for my cardiac cath this afternoon. My question to others that have gone through this is how long is the recovery? I was planning on coming back to work tomorrow but I've heard if they find blockage and need to put a stint in I'll be recovering a few days. Surgery is 6 days away.
Had my pre-op today and my wife and I were at the hospital for 5 hours. If that wasn’t bad enough my cardiologist and surgeon screwed uup and forgot to schedule my cardio angiogram so I need to go back tomorrow for 6-10 hours 😕 surgery is still scheduled for a week from today.
In my 57 years I have never been hospitalized for anything and now I'm having OHS in two weeks. I'm healthy and active and have no symptoms. I'm really struggling with my decision to move forward with the surgery but I have to have faith in the people that are looking after me. I have been going through all the testing the last two years and I guess things are not getting any better. I know I'm in good hands and I have a great support network with my wife being my rock. I have to get through this for my wife and daughter. I don't know where I would be without this website. God bless you all.
My surgery is in 19 days and I have a question for others that have gone through this. When I get home from the hospital is it critical that I have a recliner for recovery? I also have a friend that will loan me a hospital bed for as long as I need it. Which is better for recovery at home? My bed is too close to the ground so my wife says I'll be sleeping in the other room for a while:)
I just heard back from my surgeon and I'm scheduled for December 4th. The next 3 weeks are going to be terrifying, anxious, exciting, etc.. I'm just glad I finally have it scheduled and this can all be over with and I can enjoy 2019 without the black cloud over my head.
I really need some guidance from my fellow AVR recipients. I have a bicuspid aortic valve, severe aortic stenosis with mild regurgitation. I found all of this out a couple years ago when my cardiologist said I would need the surgery withing two years. Well I'm approaching the end of that two years. This year I have had several tests with the last one being an MRI last Tuesday. I just talked to my surgeon and he said I fall into that grey area because I'm asymptomatic and I did great on my last stress test. He said I could wait and see my cardiologist next year and have another echo and then we would go from there. In my head I was ready to have the surgery this year. After speaking with him for a while he said he would contact my cardiologist and discuss the next steps. I have a feeling he's going to come back to me and say if I want the surgery he will schedule it. Here's my dilemma my surgeon is retiring next month. He is the director of cardiology at Swedish Medical in Seattle and the top surgeon there. Do I wait another six months and see what happens or do I move forward with the surgery this year. I hate having this black cloud over my head and not being able to plan anything knowing I'm going to have to eventually have this surgery. Has anyone else experienced what I'm going through?
Has anyone in the community had AVR surgery at Swedish in Seattle before. I believe I have one last test (MRI) and if that tests confirms I have severe aortic stenosis I will schedule the surgery. I'm thinking about scheduling with Dr. Barnhart but he's retiring in December so I might have to go with another surgeon if I don't get in before then. I would just like to know others experiences if anything to put my mind to rest.
So I just went to Swedish Hospital in Seattle for a TV echo, at least that's what I think they called it. This is where they knock you out and stick a tube/camera down your throat to take pictures. Apparently 95% they can get good enough pictures to make a decision on whether or not surgery is needed quickly. Well I fell into that 5% because the calcium buildup around my valve made it really cloudy and they couldn't get good pictures. Next up is an MRI which apparently can see through calcium. This is all driving me crazy but I guess my surgeon wants to be sure before proceeding. I have mixed feelings on what I want this MRI to show. On one hand I'm tired of this black cloud always over my head knowing I'll need surgery at some point. Do I just get it over with and move on or do I wait until I start having symptoms? I'm going to trust God and hopefully everything will work out.
For those of you that have had the AVR surgery, how long was your recovery time? I know everyone is different but I'm just curious what the average time is. I've heard everything from a few weeks to several months. I'm in relatively good shape and am not on any medications. I guess I'm just trying to figure how how much work I will miss. Thank God, I have a very low stress desk job.
Oh yeah, my wife wanted me to ask if anyone rented out a hospital bed for their home to help with the recovery.
Hi everyone I’m Mark and I have severe aortic stenosis and if that’s not bad enough I have a leaky valve. I’m told I need surgery very soon even though I’m asymptotic. I’m blown away by all of this and very scared. I’m 57 years old and have never been admitted into the hospital for anything. I’m trying to process everything right now. One of the things I need to decide is mechanical or tissue valve. I’m relatively young for this surgery so what would others recommend. Any comments would be much appreciated.