The TAVR was completed Tuesday, June 23, 2020 and I came home yesterday. I actually felt better yesterday. Today I've had periods of feeling lightheaded again and my BP has been fluctuating all day. Started out this morning at 5:20 at 127/93 80BPM, went down to 96/75 82BPM at 8:20am, 98/50 51BPM at 9:07am, back up to 102/66 with 71BPM at 10:21am and 101-68 with 89BPM at 12:04pm. I'm really not that concerned because I was told by 2 different cardiac surgeons that it takes time for my heart to adjust to the new valve. Just kinda odd...
Had a curious thought yesterday....after I have my TAVR for my aortic valve on 6-23-20 I will have TWO AORTIC VALVES!!! Statistically, I wonder how many people have 2 of the same valve in their bodies :)
The bovine aortic valve I had installed on 1-9-17 is failing already. Found this out 2 months ago and I will, hopefully, be getting a TAVR valve-in-valve in a couple of weeks....good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise. My Ejection Fraction is 25%. During the past 2 months I have been having LOTS of cramps all over my body. Because a low EF can cause hypoxia will that cause more cramping? I get cramps in my; toes, tops of my ankles, my neck, my back, my groin, the back of my thigh, along both sides of my shin, my entire knee, and my hands. Anyone have any light to shine on this? Thanks.
FINALLY got the results from the CT (TAVR) I had done on May 15th. All cleared for an aortic valve-in-valve but that will also depend on the Cardiac Catheterization I will have done next week Thursday, June 4th. If that's okay they will review my case the following Wednesday, June 10th and schedule the TAVR after that. They do the TAVRs on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Because I am facing another aortic valve replacement I've been searching Al Gore's internet (THANKS AL!) and found that there is a term "reoperation" and I should be looking for a surgeon who is experienced in replacing replacement valves. Seems there are many issues with reoperation that were not factors in the first valve replacement. Any input on this? Thanks.
Yesterday I finally had the TEE I had been waiting a month for. The results were not good. The bovine aortic valve I had put in on 1-9-17 is a leaker. When I was in the hosptial on 3-31-20, 4-1 and 4-2, the Echo showed my ejection fraction to be 33%. Yesterday's TEE showed I am now down to 25%. My heart is enlarged and another OHS is in the near future. I'm sure I won't hear anything from my cardiologist until Monday, 5-11-20 at the soonest. I dread having to suffer through another OHS and rehab. I was told that a TAVR is not an option for me because I have aortic regurgitation and TAVRs are not used for that. They are used for aortic stenosis.
Had an ER heart incident last week, ended up staying in the hospital for 2 nights. I was told that the bovine aortic valve that I was given in January of 2017 is failing! When I was on the consultation with the surgeon I was told they last from 10-15 years and it's only been 3!!! How can this be?! Next step is a TEE and that will determine the condition of the valve and if I need another valve. TVAR is a possibility but it could also be another open heart surgery. I was hoping that the combination of the 10-15 year projection with the TVAR as my "ace in the hole" for the next time I could see my grandsons grow up; ages 4, 2 and 5 months. Now I'm not so sure...... I would truly appreciate any, and all, words of wisdom, insight and hope anyone (especially heart surgeons) have to share regarding this devastating news. Thanks.
Had my aortic valve replaced January 9, 2017 and for the most part recovery has been, what I've been told, "normal." My issue now is pain in my sternum (mostly on my right side just below the collar bone). Latest episode was this morning at 1:50am when I was woken up because of the pain. I got up and sat on the recliner with the hot pad on it to help but that didn't work. After an hour of trying to deal with it, and praying that the pain would stop on it's own, I gave up and took a 10MG oxycodone. Now, 9 hours and 3 pain pills later it is better but still hurts. It's an aching pain accentuated by a stabbing pain. When I woke up the pain would have been rated at an 8, now it's a 3 except when I press on the area (and NOT very hard) it's a 6. Because the pain has been an issue since the surgery (almost 1 year and 9 months later) I have mentioned it to my cardiologist and general practitioner at my regular check-ups and each time I have been told that it takes time. Okay....but it's hurting MORE now than it did last year. Doesn't seem "normal" to me. Anyone have any insights they would like to share? Thanks.
Had my aortic valve replaced January of 2017 and still get pains in my sternum periodically. I have told my cardiologist about this and his response is "crickets" ... silence...no comment at all. It's not all the time...about once every 2 weeks and the aching pain lasts for about 3-4 hours. Anyone else experience this also? Comments? Suggestions? Thanks :)
Anyone else have numerous (sometimes every day) migraine headaches with auras after open heart surgery? I had my aortic valve replaced last year on 1-9-17 and from the moment I opened my eyes, waking from the sedation, I have had them. I've mentioned it to my cardiologist and general practioner and get no help / feedback...just blank stares.
Before I have the surgery I have to have a cardiac catheterization done to see if there are any other issues they would have to fix at the same time.
I will have that done at Froedtert Hospital and the Medical College of Wisconsin on 12-22-16 at 7:30am. It takes 1-1.5 hours and I will have to stay there for, just for observation, for 2 hours afterward if the catheter goes in through my wrist, 4 hours if it goes in my groin (OUCH!!). The doctor will make that decision when I am there, depending on which one he feels would be best. I also have to have a blood test done before that.
I was told that if it's only the aortic valve it is the simpliest heart operation with the quickest recovery time. It would be about a 3 hour surgery and there would be a smaller incision (4") in my sternum - from the top down. I would be in ICU for at least 1 day and in the hospital a total of 3-5 days. If the cardiac cath shows more problems than we are aware of now the incision would be the entire length of my sternum, the operation would take about twice as long and I would be in the hospital about a week. Based on what I need done and my physical condition my chance of dying from the operation is .8%.
As of now my heart is only 40% efficient because of the leaking aortic valve. The longer I wait the more inefficient and damaged and weaker my heart will become.
My surgeon is out of town from 12-13 to 12-20 and I'm sure he has certain days of the week for operations, plus having to have the cardiac cath done on 12-22, most likely I won't have the surgery until early 2017.