Mitral Regurgitation, Joined March 17, 2015
Joined March 17, 2015
Gary says, "Well Dr. Malaisrie at Northwestern replaced my valve..."
Roselyn says, "2 questions for those of you with aortic valve ..."
Find and research over 1,500 patient-recommended heart valve surgeons.
Search for heart hospitals that specialize in heart valve treatment.
Yes, it is real, but it is a fairly complex area that is not well understood. An ... Read more
Yes, it is real, but it is a fairly complex area that is not well understood. And since each of us is unique and different, the effects are somewhat different in individuals. If you were to ask 30 people to define 'depression' you would probably get 30 different definitions. I read one paper where the author defined 5 general types of depression; some improved with medication, some got worse with medication. So which depression is post heart operation depression?
When the word depression is used, most people think of a mood disorder caused mainly by a chemical imbalance in the brain, usually a deficiency of the neurotransmitter serotonin. What is usually not realized is that less than 10% of the serotonin producing cells are in the brain. The other 90% are out in the body, mainly the digestive tract and are also impacted. The result can be nerve problems (muscles), sensor problems (pain), etc.
How would open heart surgery cause 'depression' or a hypo serotonin condition? One way is stress. I would say that open heart surgery is very stressful. If you want a more detailed description of the body's reaction to stress, I would recommend watching this video:
So, in my opinion, at least do the following:
- healthy cardio diet, hydration
- exercise, cardiac rehab, and then on your own
- good restful sleep
- stress management, positive attitude