Does anyone know the pros and cons of sleeping positions and their effect on the healing process for the sternum?
I am tired of sleeping on my back, but don't want to do anything that will impede that progress.
Thanks to all of you who participated in my successful Mitral Valve repair. From the time I found this wonderful site, through the process of determining where, when and who, through the mental mind set, through the operation, and the hospital rehab, you all have been there with me. In turn, I was focused on my issues rather than the issues of my fellow posters here.
Now I am home! One week following surgery. Five days following shockingly low heart rates. Four days following the intensity of atrial fibrillation, followed by three days of stabilization.
Throughout the process, the compassion of the hospital staff made a huge difference! While they cannot tell you what to expect, they can help you through whatever twist or turn may come your way. Everyone's journey is unique, and each journey has a destination. The professionalism of the nurses and their techs will guide you to the best outcome under any given circumstance.
Naturally, it is your family, your friends, your beliefs and your conviction that serves to give you forward drive, and the experience of the hospital staff that does its best to make sure that forward drive nets positive results.
I am home, getting ready for the next chapter of rehab, but if anyone wants to compare notes, ask questions or give future guidance...please do not hesitate.
Again...thank you for your important participation in this process.
Thank you so much!
Hi everyone- Ben's brother Scott here. Ben came through the surgery very well- Dr Dewan called it an "uneventful procedure". Never been so excited to hear such a bland description! They were able to perform a repair as opposed to a replacement, which was chief among Ben's concerns. His newest nemesis is the breathing tube, which we hope to have removed shortly- as soon as the staff is assured he can breathe on his own. All of us here would like to thank you all for the support you've shown Ben. To say you comforted and strengthened him through this process is a gross understatement, but his words will serve better than mine to express the depth of his appreciation. Thank you all.
Well, after reading your advice and suggestions...and sitting in the Texas Heart Hospital of Austin waiting room for about an hour an a half...I have committed to this local hospital, and Stephen Dewan as the surgeon. Although Houston has the reputation and the "awe" factor, I decided it was best for me and my family to take care of things right here in my home town.
Now that this decision is made, it looks like the best time is going to be the second week in February. This gives time for my girls to schedule themselves in from Tennessee, as well as making any other arrangements.
This seems to have taken a long time to get here...before thanksgiving...and at times, I wish it had come under more urgent circumstances so that the preparation and decisions would have taken a back seat to simply getting it done.
Knowing that it is now around the corner gives me some peace. I will be with my Pastor next week, and things will speed up, I'm sure.
Soon I will be that grumpy old man in recovery that I hear so much about!
Okay...I have been to a a Cardiologist and Heart Surgeon, both in Austin (St. David's) and in Houston (St. Luke's Baylor). I am quite certain I am overthinking things, and although Houston certainly has a reputation for being "World Class", I find myself wondering what I am jeopardizing by staying close to home and having the valve repair performed in Austin.
Needless to say, I realize it is a very personal decision, but am wondering if any of you have placed yourself in a similar situation, and can shed some light on the decision making process?
Tell me if I am being a baby about all of this...
Is getting a second opinion from a surgeon a good idea? I have the option of Austin (home town) or Houston (excellent medical center), and I don't really know which way to go. I am scheduled to meet with a Houston surgeon in early January, and have already met with a local Austin surgeon who I feel comfortable with.
Any advice for my mitral valve repair surgery decision regarding place and surgeon?
While I am still reeling from the "newness" of my situation, I am comforted by having found this site. Now I find myself in a bit of a limbo, as I wait for my "second opinion" doctor to receive the test CD from the hospital. He has been after them for two weeks now, and they still haven't been received.
Friends, family and co-workers are asking "What next?", and I really have nothing to tell them, other than my surgeon (referred by my first cardiologist) said it needs to happen soon, but after the first of the year is early enough.
Now, it seems as if I have gone from a life and death situation to a holding pattern of sorts. Everyone is still concerned, but I feel they are wondering just how serious this is. I don't want them to feel as though they are wasting their time by focusing on my issue, but I don't know what more I can say.
Is this a normal thing?
I found this website while searching for some sort of vehicle to share my thoughts and concerns and...okay, fears with someone who has been here before, or has some experience with the process. My largest issue right now is knowing that I must undergo a Mitral Valve repair, and having to wait...all the time thinking all sorts of things. From the percentages for success, to my job security, to my financial situation, and most importantly...how is my family dealing with this? I even wonder who will cut the grass, take care of the honey-dos, pay the bills...seems like every aspect of my day to day habits are magnified and intensified.
Normal areas and concerns for everyone, I'm quite sure...just want to share some of those anxieties with someone in a similar situation. Not wanting to bring anyone down...rather hoping to get myself better prepared mentally.
Trying not to be self-serving or sound pitiful. Just wanting some shoring up.