One week left. Feeling a little anxious, but not too much. I give a lot of credit to this community and the great success stories that y'all have. Went ahead and took care of my beard and, while I was at it, shaved my head to make it easier post-op.
Update posted on...
April 17, 2019
Two weeks to go. Got my dental preop next week, and then my actual preop two weeks from yesterday. I've been considering cutting caffeine (I drink a single cup of coffee in the morning) out before the surgery. My cardio doc says it's fine for me to keep on drinking it, but I know that I'll be asked to knock it off for a few weeks after the surgery. Maybe cut to avoid any additional discomfort due to caffeine withdrawal? Or, maybe I'll just sleep through it (and be distracted by the other discomforts). Anyone in the same boat?
Three weeks out and we're all-in on our to-do lists. Plenty of stuff to keep me busy while I wait. Am I the only one that has gotten to this point and is actually looking forward to the surgery? Not in any sort of morbid way, but to get it done with so I'm not waiting around any longer. Still asymptomatic, but ready to get to recovery so I can get past it and lift my kiddos again.
We're 5 weeks away from the surgery (May 1st) up at Medstar Washington. The good news is that it is the busiest time of the semester for me and my family, so we haven't had much time to dwell on the upcoming surgery and recovery. We had hopes that I would be able to get the TAVR procedure that had the study wrap up recently, but because I have a bicuspid valve, it rules me out. For now, we're waiting and, in bits and pieces, getting the house ready (I bought a recliner!) and everything set before May 1st.
Over the holidays, I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis at the ripe old age of 37. Turns out, like many of you, I had a bicuspid valve, and a routine physical picked up a heart murmur. I have Crohn's disease, and the thought is that the inflammation caused by Crohn's accelerated the deterioration of the valve. I'm not sure. Regardless, my valve measured at 0.7, and replacement is in my near future. Right now my family and I are going through the second opinion procedure, and I'm hoping that the answer is that the surgery can wait until I've wrapped up my semester (I'm a professor).