A Must Read… “Heart 411” By Dr. Gillinov & Dr. Nissen
Since launching this blog 5 years ago, I have only recommended one book about cardiac care.
Today, I am thrilled to increase my book recommendations by 100% with an emphatic endorsement of “Heart 411” by Dr. Marc Gillinov and Dr. Steven Nissen. This 550-page guide to heart health is packed with helpful facts, practical guidance and patient stories that will definitely help the 82 million Americans that are diagnosed with cardiovascular disease.
What I enjoyed most about the book was the pace at which Dr. Marc Gillinov and Dr. Steven Nissen intertwined research, evidence and data along with their own clinical experiences that stretch across 50 years of medical practice and 10,000 patients. To learn more about Dr. Gillinov, click here.
Dr. Steven Nissen & Dr. Marc Gillinov – Authors of Heart 411
To some extent, I would say that Heart 411 is similar to a Freakonomics for the heart. As I read the book, I could not contain a series of “Wows!”, “Whats?”, “No Ways!” and “Oh My Gawds!” that exited my mouth as I flipped from one page to the next. Some facts that made me think out-loud include:
- If we could eliminate cardiovascular disease, life expectancy would increase by 7 years. In comparison, cancer would add only 3 years.
- 90% of coronary heart disease could be prevented by addressing treatable risk factors.
- Mummies… Yes… Mummies have been found to have atherosclerosis, a hardening of the arteries.
- People who rarely brush their teeth have a 70% increased risk of suffering a heart attack.
- If you sleep less than 6 hours each night, you are vulnerable to heart disease.
- Risk of a heart attack is 20% greater on Monday mornings.
I could go on-and-on about the unique insights, patient stories, counter-intuitive thoughts, and, most importantly, preventative strategies contained within Heart 411. Instead, I will simply encourage you to read the book.
As I — and many patients in our community can attest — life without a healthy heart is awfully difficult to enjoy. This book is a phenomenal resource for experiencing that joy thanks to a healthy heart.
Keep on tickin!
Adam Pick is a patient, author of The Patient's Guide To Heart Valve Surgery and the founder of HeartValveSurgery.com.