Home > Adam's Blog > Cow Valve...

Cow Valve Replacement Surgery – Bovine Valves

Posted by Adam Pick on August 23rd, 2007

I will never forget my first interview with a heart surgeon.

My cardiologists – Dr. Wyman and Dr. Chaikin – had already confirmed that my aortic valve was suffering from severe stenosis and regurgitation. As they both told me, I needed a new valve and I needed it soon.

Cow Valve Replacement Option For Patients Interested In Bovine Pericardial Tissue

That first, surgical interview I held was with Dr. Alfredo Trento, the Director of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Hospital in Los Angeles, California.

Dr. Trento’s office was six stories up and looked across the Hollywood Hills. It was quite impressive.

“I’ve looked at your film Adam,” Dr. Trento said as he sat down in his leather chair, “You definitely need a new valve.” He continued, “Now you have some options. You can select a pig valve. You can select a cow valve. You can select an artificial or mechanical valve. Or, you can opt for your own valve using the Ross Procedure.”

I’ll never forget that moment. I gazed over at my mom who was sitting two feet away from me. “A pig valve? A cow valve?” I questioned Dr. Trento, “You mean I could have a cow valve used to replace my diseased aortic valve?”

Dr. Trento went on to explain that cow valves have been used for many years as valve replacements. By some, strange twist of evolutionary coincidence, our valves and cow valves are similar in tissue physiology. That makes them a frequent choice for heart valve replacement.

Although I opted for a different surgical approach – I underwent the Ross Procedure – I was always curious to know more about bovine valves and who manufactures them. It is quite an odd curiosity, I admit, but it exists. Plus, I needed to better research cow valves for my book.

• First off, you should know that bovine valves are chemically treated for transplantation from the animal to the human patient. The human body typically responds positively to this procedure because of the similarities in tissue composition.
  • Second, unlike a pig valve replacement, a bovine valve uses the tissue of the cow’s heart NOT the actual structure. I better understood this when I visited Edwards Lifesciences for a heart valve manufacturing tour. Essentially, the cow valve results from a sophisticated manufacturing process in which the pericardial sack (the tough tissue sac that surrounds the heart of a cow) is collected and then processed into proper shape. Very, very, very, very interesting, right?

The disadvantage, however, is that the animal valve is not as durable as a human valve (given the lifespan of a cow) and is often more susceptible to calcification on the valve leaflets following a heart valve replacement operation.

Cow Valve Replacement Surgery - Bovine Valve

Reports suggest that the average lifetime of a cow valve replacement is about 10 to 15 years. Although some research suggests that cow valve replacements may last over 20 years. Therefore, younger patients opting to have cow valve replacement surgery may need to have a re-operation at a future time.

I hope this helps better explain cow valve replacement surgery and bovine valve replacement surgery.

Marlene Dodson says on November 9th, 2009 at 11:06 am

I have had an mechanical artificial heart valve for nine years. I had a saliva stone surgery last week. I have two cracked teeth now. I have been on antibotics for 14 days, Can I have dental work done without taking lovinox shots? I had an epidural for my neck four weeks ago and had to take lovinox and stop the coumadin for four days. It is so expensive and if not necessary I would hope I could have the work done on my teeth without it.I would still be on antibotics. Thanks M. Dodson

nelson E Ferris says on February 5th, 2010 at 11:17 am

I had heart surgery in August 4 bypasses and valve replacement with the bovine–shortly after surgery–started with itching and it is steadily getting worse–I have been eliminating medications as I am also diabetic–I am now on Insulin and will be starting on prednisone 40 mg for 1 wk and then 20 for 1 wk–watching blood sugars very closely to regulate insulin. My question is have you ever heard of someone having a reaction to this valve??

Crystal says on October 21st, 2010 at 10:03 pm

Hello! I was so happy to find this site! I am having open heart surgery Nov 2nd, and Im getting a bovine valve. I am terribly worried about the surgery, so was just looking around the internet for ppl who have had this surgery. I am 29 yrs old, and I was born with tetrology of fallot(blue baby syndrome) and was just wondering where to get your book and kinda looking for ppl who have been through this to email about my concerns.

Stacey says on January 20th, 2011 at 9:53 am

My 15 year old daughter had her gortex patch replaced with a cow valve October 2010. She also had a septal occluder placed to close up a small hole in the heart. She’s doing great, not allowed to run yet but has been hitting softballs off a tee and some “light” pitching. Waiting to get approval to train and start playing softball again. No allergic reactions but has shown more signs of eating like a cow, her appetite has definitely increased!

Sandra S. Kaplan says on March 20th, 2011 at 11:36 am

When a bovine aortic valve replacement becomes infected (visible vegetation radiographically and positive blood cultures) is it curable with intravenous antibiotics or does cure require valve removal and replacement as would be likely with a biomaterial graft.

R. Doukhan says on April 24th, 2011 at 8:30 am

Do you or any one out there know if an intolerance to hot weather or dehydration are possible side effects of a bovine valve replacement? My elderly mother is dealing with both after 5 years. Never did prior to the surgery.

Steven Ryan says on June 6th, 2011 at 12:45 am

Which is better, cow or pig?
-Thanks.

R. Clement says on June 20th, 2011 at 1:33 pm

I had my aortic valve, root & part of the aorta replaced 2 months ago and since then it feels like my heart is going to beat right out of my chest. You can really feel it and at night or whenever you are quiet you can actually hear it beat in your head. Has anyone else had this and will it get better? It is driving me crazy.

Adam Pick says on June 21st, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Hi R Clement,

You raise a great question. Here is a link with over 90 responses from former patients about heart pounding sensations after valve surgery.

As you will read, you are not alone…

R. Deston says on June 27th, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I had an aortic valve replacement using bovine tissue, in 2005. I have never had an ache, pain or felt my heart beat since that time. Two days ago I had a complete cardiology examination and was given a good health report. At 80 years of age now, I am given to expect a number of more years with the same replacement. My sole medication is one 75mg dipyridamole tab taken twice daily.

k.smith says on August 20th, 2011 at 7:08 am

I was born with tetrology of fallot. I have had 3 open heart operations. 2 when I was a child and pulmanary valve replacement in 2004. I walk 3 miles a day at a steady pace. I still work full time and feel good most of the time. However I can only move at a steady pace, I can’t step it up a notch if I do i get very short of breath is this normal? I also have a bovine valve and wonder how long will it last, do I have to worry. I am not sure I would want to go through the ordeal of having it replaced again. Anyone have any thoughts?

ron lake says on November 14th, 2011 at 3:13 pm

At age 60, I Had my aortic valve replaced with a bovine valve 12 years ago at Yale NH hospital and I have never had a problem. Still going strong.

ron

BILLY LOCKE says on November 28th, 2011 at 10:14 pm

IN SEPT.. 2006 I HAD A BOVINE AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT, NOW..11/28/2011 I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS AT ALL, MY DR. TELLS ME IF SOMEONE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE REPLACEMENT THEY WOULD NOT KNOW I HAVE EVER HAD A HEART PROBLEM, I’M SO THANKFUL FOR MEDICAL ADVANCEMENT & A MERCYFUL LORD & SAVIOR. MY DR HAS AN ELDERLY AUNT THAT HAS HAD THIS VALVE FOR 25+ YRS. WITH NO PROBLEMS WITH THE VALVE. HOPE THIS POST HELPS SOMEONE…Billy Locke..Glasgow,Ky
PROCEDURE WAS DONE AT JEWISH HOSP. IN LOUISVILLE,KY..COULD NOT HAVE HAD BETTER CARE..DR.BRIAN GANZEL WAS MY SURGEON. AGAIN..A VERY THANKFUL, PLEASED 69 YR OLD “BOY”

Keith says on April 11th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

On April 27 2012 i’m going in for a aortic heart valve replacement. I’m 62 years old. The doctor suggested the bovine valve. I’m leaning that way. I’m hearing the valve lasts 10 to 15 years. I’m active out doors and on the tennis courts. I would like some feed back from people who have had this done and their reaction, pros and cons to this procedure.

Rev Ron lake says on April 11th, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Kieth:

I had a bovine valve in 1999 and have had no problem. I bike, reffed varsity basketball and hike. I am 74 and went yesterday for my yearly checkup and the dr. remarked how well the valve is doing He also told me he has patients at 25 plus years with the valve still working fine. Make sure you have a very experienced surgeon with lots of surgery behind him or her
Good luck. You are in my prayers

Reborn lake

Mike Kelly says on April 21st, 2012 at 1:23 pm

On August 23 2011, at 58 years old, I had a bovine aortic valve replacement, and a Dacron graft replacing my ascending aorta at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. It was a 6 hour drive and believe me it was worth it. So far everything is going great.No problems and I am as strong os ever. My surgeon was Dr. Eric Roselli. He also instructs the procedure to learning Doctors. I along with my entire family highly recommend the Cleveland Clinic. They have Hospitals in Florida also.

Ron Dennis says on May 26th, 2012 at 8:47 pm

June 21 2011 at the age 64 years old I had a bovine aortic valve replacement, and I’m doing great. I didn’t have any fear what so ever.

alice underwood says on June 22nd, 2012 at 7:44 pm

i had an anulrysm on my aortic and i had it fixed and a bovine valve put in on april 29 2009 …i have done realy great so far …never had any problems with my heart but lost the sight in my right eye …that is when they relized they needed to check my heart …they said i was a lucky person by loseing my eye or they would have never knew i had the anulrysm …i have centreal retnia exclusion august 26 2006 was when i lost my eye sight ..oh ! by the way i am 70 years old …….the only problem i have is i smoke ……..i am so stupid

Ron says on August 30th, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’m 66 & need aortic valve replaced quickly. No other health issues. One surgeon recommended bovine, another pig and the 3rd, mechanical. I’m confused! Good to see comments about the bovine. Please let me know if any of you have any suggestions. Thanks, Ron

Karen Klosterbuer says on December 5th, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I was born with “the funkiest mitrol valve ever” per my heart surgeon as he was replacing my valve in 2005. I had the bovine tissue valve and it has worked wonderfully. My cardiologist recently said there was no reason it shouldn’t last my full lifetime (I was 54 when I had the replacement). Since my heart had never delivered blood very well throughout my body, my improvement was immediate. I remember waking up one night thinking I was hearing bombs exploding on the army post firing range….turns out I was hearing my own heart beat for the first time ever…LOVED IT!!! I have always liked cows; now I really like cows. My husband does say I seem to “graze” all the time since the surgery….better than wallowing in the mud is my thought. I can only tell those who are anticipating a replacement is to relax and enjoy the improvement.

John Hayden says on December 19th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I had a Bovine Aortic replacement at 64, 22 months ago.. No other non age related, health issues. I still work full time and life is great. No side effects, no problems and in general improved health. I can run up stairs. How lucky I am to find this valve problem, and solution within this decade, it would have been a different story, years earlier.

donald smith says on December 20th, 2012 at 10:08 am

I was born with tetrology of fallot and had a Blaylock shunt at age 2 and corrective surgery at age 11, in 2004 I had a pulminarry valve replaced and have done well since. I have the same questions as most of you , How long will this valve last, can it be replaced again? I am now a diabetic, will this affect The valve. I am blessed by god and at age 56 am stilll working full time so if anyone is about to go through this procedure all i can suggest is to pray and never give up.

wm. franks says on July 2nd, 2013 at 8:36 pm

i was 21 when i had tricuspid valve replacement w/ a pig valve. within 6 weeks, after coming off iv antibiotics i was sick, very sick. come to learn the valve was infected and i needed a second surgery. this time they went w/bovine (cow) valve. its now been 12 years and the only complications i’ve had thus far are a leak around the ring of the valve. although my surgeon did say i would need a surgery every 8-10 yrs. to replace said valve, im still kicking, somewhat. they want me to prepare mentally for a 3rd surgery but im sorta blocking it out by just living everyday to its fullest..

Bill Corley says on August 9th, 2013 at 3:45 pm

My father had a (Bovine)heart valve replacement in March of 2013. He developed CJD first noticed problems in June of 2013. CJD was confirmed August 2nd and he died August 4th of 2013.Is there a possibility of CJD contaminated Bovine heart tissue finding its way into his valve replacement?

wm jones says on September 21st, 2013 at 11:49 am

HAD BOVINE AORTIC VALVE REPLACEMENT 7/1999 AM DOING GREAT–NO PROBLEMS IT HAS BEEN 18MOS SINCE LAST SONOGRAM THEY ARE EXPENSIVE AND AM THINKING ABOUT SKIPPING ONE THAT IS SCHEDULED.IS IT NECESSARY ,IF NO SYMPTOMS OR IN FACT WOULD I GET WARNING SINGS IS REPLACEMENT IS NECESSARY —-I HAVE HEARD THEY CAN LAST A LOT LONGER THAN THE 15 YRS ADVERTISED.

WOULD APPRECIATE COMMENTS I DO HAVE OFF AND ON A FIB AND TAKE ONLY LOW DOSE ASPRIN

THANKS, BILL JONES

Yuri says on December 8th, 2013 at 7:16 am

Had a mitral valve replaced with bovine a year ago and now I have developed all over rush/hives for which I find no cause, tried eliminating foods and now I wonder if it is possible I have an allergic reaction to the valve ??? By the way I am 71 and filling fantastic with my otherwise friendly cow.

Gary Hansen says on March 11th, 2014 at 4:53 pm

I had a mitral valve repair for a broken cord on my mitral valve, and a bovine aortic valve replacement on January 30th ( just a little over 5 weeks ago.) They also found a small hole in my heart that they sewed up while in they were in the area ! This was done by Dr Damiano at Barnes BJC hospital in St Louis. I can’t say enough good things about the skill and professionalism of Dr Damianom and his entire team. He saved my life, and actually made the entire process rather easy. Because 2 valves needed attention, I did have the full sternum incision, but even that was very manageable. I got home in only 4 days, and am doing great. I feel better than I have in many years. At 62 years old, I am looking forward to a long life, and many active years with my wife, children and grandchildren. .