Well big sister is doing great! She is hitting all her goals (of course)! Her heart is back on rhythm so far and pray it continues that way. She has been busy up walking, got a shower, and watching videos for her homework. Thank you all for your continued prayers for a full recovery. JoAnen will be contacting you as soon as she can.
Moms doing well. In and out of atrial fibrillation but controlling it with meds. Got her chest tube out. Taking walks, I keep telling her she will be running soon. I'm not sure she believes me. All and all doing awesome!!
Mom has eaten dinner and took her second walk of the day and loves getting out of bed. Right now she is having atrial fibrillation, which they are working on getting under control with medication. She is comfortable and sleeping quite a bit.
She is out of surgery and doing well. They said she came off bypass very well. Half hour to hour we will get to go see her, she will still be under with respirator tubes. In four to six hours they will take her off respirator. She will remain in the ICU infill tomorrow morning. Her valve was a 23 mm!! That was the one we were shooting for!!!
Well it has finally arrived. I have to report to the hospital at 5:30 to get started. They said plan on 8 hours until I am in ICU but the surgery itself is 3-4 hours. Thanks for all the wonderful prayers and messages. Best of luck to everyone else on this journey. Looking forward to being on the other side of this. My kids will be keeping everyone updated.
Well I made it through my tests today with flying colors. I have been told to expect red carpet treatment when I get to the Mayo. I was pleasantly surprised at how efficient and friendly everyone is at the clinic and hospital. I had blood tests, chest x-ray, and EKG today. They were all good. They said that we are doing the surgery at the perfect time because the heart had not been damaged yet from the stenosis. I was scheduled for an angiogram tomorrow. As we went over my history I told her that my cardiologist had done the heart cath on 11/7/12. She said they had not given her any information on that. When I had it done the nurse at the hospital gave me a CD of the procedure for my records. He said to hang on to it and I decided to bring it with me. I was able to give it to the Mayo and they reviewed it and then cancelled the angiogram for tomorrow. I just have the surgery consultation and then the surgery on the 13th. She said that if it goes as planned that I may be able to fly home around 12/21/12. I will try and hit all my benchmarks to get out of here ASAP within reason. Thanks to everyone again for all the support. Dick and JoAnn did an awesome job taking care of me today. Wishing the best for everyone else that is on this journey.
Well we had breakfast and headed to Cabela's. We spent most of the day there and it was a real fun day. It definitely kept my mind off the upcoming surgery. Now we will get it all started tomorrow with the tests. I hope to get some sleep tonight. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers. I am extremely lucky to have such wonderful family and friends. My husband is going to be taking great care of me as he always does.
Best of luck to everyone going through this.
Well we headed to the airport at 12:30 am on Sunday morning after getting 5 inches of new snow. We made it to Seattle and then had a weather delay because of a storm in Minneapolis. With the delay I was able to have lunch with my sister Dana and nephew Jesse. It was great for them to come and visit even though Dana will be traveling to Mayo to spend some time with me. Because of the delay there were no shuttles but my daughter had made it to Rochester earlier so she drove through the storm to pick us up. We made it to the room about 11:30 pm on Sunday night. All in all a good day but a little tired. Getting up early tomorrow and headed to Cabela's for some shopping therapy.
Thanks everyone for the wonderful support.
In a week I will hopefully be on the recovery side.
Journal posted on December 7, 2012
It is getting closer which I am thankful for. I have read so many patients say that this is the hard part and I have to agree. I am starting to get a little nervous but I am trying to keep busy. Most of the time I do ok but it is hard when I go to bed as I can't shut my mind off and get some good rest. I have learned so much from fellow HVJ's and I continue to feel optimistic about my recovery. I have such wonderful family and friends that are so supportive that I know I can do this. Hoping everyone on this journey is doing well. I will finish a couple of jobs tomorrow and then turn my clients over to my sister who is doing a great job. She has taken a lot of the stress out of this for me and I can't thank her enough. Lots of last minute things to finish before we fly out Sunday. Guess I should try and get some sleep.
Well next week at this time I will have arrived in Rochester for my surgery. It is funny because I have not wanted this day to come but since the pain and limitation are getting worse I will be glad to get it done. I think that I am getting things in order. My biggest worry was my business but I have a fantastic sister, Leslie, that has stepped up to take it over for me. She has been helping me the past couple of weeks because it is getting harder to do a days work. I can't tell her how much this means to me. I will get to spend a day enjoying my husband, son, and daughter on a shopping trip to Cabela's before we start the tests and surgery. It is already getting hard to get a good night sleep because I can't shut the mind off. I know that I am going to an excellent place and have wonderful support.
I hope everyone that is on this journey is doing well. I am looking forward to being on the other side soon
I truly have so much to be thankful for. I have wonderful family and friends that are helping me make it through this journey. I am thankful for Dick, my husband and best friend, for always being there for me. I know that I can be a handful at times because I do not like to slow down and I know he worries. I had a great dinner at my son and daughter-in-law's today. They have been very supportive through this and I know that I can count on them when I need to. My daughter, JoAnn, is in Wyoming and I know she is stressed and worried about being so far away. It will be good to see her when we get to the Mayo clinic. We will be flying down to MN on December 9th. We planned an extra day so we can play at the nearby Cabela's. December 11th and 12th I will have tests. am scheduled to be at St Mary's Hospital at 5:45 am for surgery on the 13th. It is a relief to have some of the plans made.
Thanks so much for all the prayers and support.
Happy Thanksgiving JoAnen
Well I talked with the Mayo Clinic this morning and I will be having surgery on December 13, 2012. It feels so good to be moving forward with this even though it is still a little scary. Dr. Lyle Joyce is my surgeon. I know the next 3 weeks will fly by trying to get everything ready so this goes smoothly. Now I get to start working on airline reservations. This may be tricky this time of year. Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the prayers and hugs. JoAnen
Well I am still trying to schedule my surgery date. I finally got some of my records and sent them UPS so they can review them and set the date. They should have everything tomorrow morning so I am hoping to hear something by Friday. Lots of people have said that waiting is the hard part. I know that the people that are planning on coming to be with me need to know asap and I will get the info to you as soon as I get the date so we can start making travel plans.
Thanks so much for all the prayers and well wishes.
Well this morning I woke up with a hard swelling by my cath injection site. I called my doctor and he said to go to the ER. It was a small pseudoaneurysm and they got it sealed again. Now I have to go 2 more days on restricted activity. I guess I will try and take it easy, but thought I had been doing pretty good. I will be calling the Mayo Clinic on Monday to set up my surgery date.
Well I it through the heart cath. It was not bad at all. It is hard for me to take it easy but I am following the doctors orders. Dr. Corbett said that my heart is in real good shape and strong. My only problem is a bad valve. He is setting up my surgery at the Mayo clinic in Rochester. Reading all the other stories has made this whole process much easier. I want to say thank you to everyone and best wishes to everyone who is headed for surgery or recovering. My son, Clinton, went with me today and he was awesome. I am very thankful for the wonderful family and friends that I have.
Well I had my stress echo, echo and carotid ultrasound today. After the tests I saw my cardiologist, Dr. Corbett, and he said it was time to have the surgery done. I am scheduled for the heart catheterization this Wednesday. No messing around I guess. He said I was looking at surgery in December. I need to figure out where I want it done. I am thinking about the Mayo Clinic in Rochester. I would love any info on others experiences there. I am so thankful to have found this website and Adam's book. It has helped immensely to know what I have ahead of me and make it a little less scary. I love reading the patient stories as it gives me hope that it will all work out.
Well today I saw my cardiologist. After explaining my symptoms he decided that I needed some tests to figure out if I was at a point where I need the surgery. I am having a Stress Echo, Echocardiogram, and a Carotid Ultrasound on 11/05/12. I have lost 59 pounds since January 2012 so I am at a good weight, that is because I was in training for my Dall Sheep hunt. He said that it is good to be in better shape than your cardiologist. I told him that I didn't plan on backing off, but I was slowing down because of the symptoms. I am hoping that will help me with a speedy recovery when the time comes. Looking forward to learning more from the people that have already traveled this path.
Loving life in Alaska
I was first diagnosed with aortic stenosis in 2007. It was mild and I was told by the cardiologist to have an echo done every 3 years. I did the next echo in 2010 and was told that there was little change. I was really pleased. I was told that I didn't need another echo for 2-3 years. In March of 2012 I was having problems with my gallbladder and my surgeon refused to do the surgery before I was cleared by the cardiologist because of the AS. They did an echo which showed moderate to severe AS. I was in pretty good shape as I was dropping weight and getting ready for a Dall Sheep hunt in August. The gallbladder surgery went fine and the cardiologist wanted to see me in December. I went on my sheep hunt which involved some steep mountain climbs with a heavy pack. I had a few dizzy spells but I was not real concerned. In late September I started having lots of dizzy spells and increasing chest pain. These seem to be getting worse every week. I moved my apportionment up to October 29th. I am extremely anxious because of how fast the symptoms come on. I got Adam's book and it was extremely helpful. I have been reading lots of the patients stories on this site and have learned a lot of great info. Looking forward to getting some answers on Monday.