Just a last update from Stephanie -- my mom is back home in California now and doing well. She'll be seen by her doctors here for follow-up care. She is still a little tired but otherwise fine, and happy to have a successful repair behind her!
All still well, and she is getting discharged today! She had a follow-up echo yesterday that showed just a "trivial" amount of regurgitation, which is great. I flew home yesterday, but my brother John is in Cleveland with her now and will fly back with her. Right now they are scheduled to return Saturday and may have one further follow up appointment at the Cleveland Clinic in the meantime. She is looking forward to coming home!
Everything still going well. She went back on a little bit of oxygen last night but that's not unusual. Today she should be walking a lot more. Probably also today she will have another echo to check her valve. She feels a little stir crazy but otherwise is doing very well.
Everything still going well. She was transferred to the Step Down unit yesterday, and has a private room with a nice view. She is still feeling good pain-wise. Some small issues they are monitoring, but nothing very concerning. Today she will start walking around more and needs to continue using the spirometer. But overall, everything is moving in the right direction.
Everything is still going well. She didn't sleep much in the ICU last night, but was relaxed and hasn't had much pain (thank you, robotics!). Dr. Gillinov came by this morning and again said that her repair went very well -- the valve regurgitation went from a level 3 (of 4) to under 1. She should move out of the ICU today to a regular room. Overall she is very tired but otherwise doing very well.
My mom is out of surgery, and I just met with Dr. Gillinov, her surgeon. Everything went well! Valve was repaired, no complications. He was able to do it robotically, which should mean an easier recovery for her. She'll likely spend the night in the ICU and then get transferred to a regular room tomorrow. I will be able to see her in the next hour or so, and I'll update again tonight or tomorrow morning, hopefully with more good news!
This is Jan's daughter, Stephanie, posting from the Cleveland Clinic. My mom was admitted early this morning for surgery, after two full days of appointments and tests. She wasn't too nervous, mostly just ready to have it done! I'll post further updates as I get them.
Holy Moly! I'm #1 on The Board! Flying to Cleveland tomorrow with my daughter. Have tests and appointments all day long Tuesday. Meet with Dr Gillinov, anesthesiologist, and other team members Wednesday. Surgery Thursday. Won't know until Wednesday whether surgery will be open sternal or robotic--depends on test results. I am SO READY! I JUST WANT IT OVER!!
YIKES! My mitral valve surgery is less than two weeks away (Feb 25). The wait has been much worse than I ever imagined. Since I scheduled the surgery two months ago (Dr Gillinov has a long wait list) I feel like deep down inside I have put the rest of my life on hold, and have been increasingly obsessed with all the possible negative outcomes. I JUST WANT IT OVER! Anyone else having surgery at the Cleveland Clinic around Feb 25? Maybe we can walk the halls with our IV poles together!