Home > Adam's Blog > “Who Was...

“Who Was Robin Williams’ Heart Surgeon?” Asks Tammy

Posted by Adam Pick on March 23rd, 2009

I’m not sure if you have followed the latest news coverage of Robin Williams’s heart valve surgery…

But, earlier today it was confirmed that Robin Williams had double heart valve surgery on March 13, 2009 at The Cleveland Clinic in Ohio. While initial reports suggested that Robin Williams would only need aortic valve replacement surgery, the Oscar-winning actor and comedian also had his mitral valve repaired.

Robin Williams – Aortic And Mitral Valve Surgery Patient

Tammy wrote me earlier today asking, “Who was Robin Williams surgeon?”

The answer… Doctor A. Marc Gillinov of The Cleveland Clinic was Robin Williams heart surgeon.

After the surgery, Doctor Gillinov stated, “Williams heart is strong and he will have normal heart function in the coming weeks with no limitations on what he’ll be able to do.”

A. Marc Gillinov – Robin Williams Surgeon

As for Robin Williams status after the surgery, the 57-year old actor stated, “I got some great new material for the tour and can’t wait to get back on the road.”

Keep on tickin’ Robin!!!

Mary Anne says on March 24th, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Just wondering what type of valve was used in Robin Williams’s surgery – tissue or mechanical?

Janie Niemiec says on March 24th, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Just wondering if we know if Robin Williams received a mechanical valve or a pig or bovine valve? I am going to be having aortic valve surgery and only 2 years older than Robin. I am opting for the pig valve as I do not want to be on a blood thinner. Sincerely, Janie

Barbara Johnson says on March 24th, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Can you tell us what type of valve Robin Williams had for his aortic valve replacement? I am having a difficult time selecting among pig, cow, and mechanical.

Adam Pick says on March 24th, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Hi Janie,

Great question.

Unforunately, I do not know whether Robin Williams selected a mechanical valve or a tissue valve (cow, pig) for his aortic replacement.

If I find out, I will post a follow-up blog. (I’ve received a bunch of questions about this today.)

dena says on March 29th, 2009 at 6:06 pm

We all want to know what kind of valve did he receive?

dena

fred benton says on May 6th, 2009 at 7:05 am

Any idea what type of procedure Robin Williams had for the aortic valve replacement? I read that he was entertaining the staff 2 hours after surgery. Just had my valve replaced and I was pretty much out of it for a solid day. I had a bovine valve replacement, a pacemaker, and a “jumper” around a severe restriction which was a birth defect (all this at WakeMed in Raleigh, NC. I’m 63 and am wondering about the expected life of all these things. The doctors are sort of noncommittal with their answers.