Home > Adam's Blog > Before &...

Before & After: Monique Gets A Much-Needed Mitral Valve Repair

Posted by Adam Pick on October 9th, 2010

Monique just sent me two, very interesting pictures of her mitral valve – before and after surgery. I thought you might like to see these pictures as they illustrate the challenges of heart valve disease and the opportunities of heart valve treatment. The procedure was performed by Dr. David Adams at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City.

Patient Using Incentive Spirometer In Intensive Care Unit
Monique At Mount Sinai Hospital Using The Incentive Spirometer

As Monique writes to me, “The pictures below are amazing!”

I completely agree.

Before & After Pictures Of Mitral Valve Repair Surgery
Monique’s Mitral Valve – Before & After Surgery (Source: MitralValveRepair.org)

After looking at these mitral valve pictures, which were taken during the operation, I immediately noticed three things.

• First, I noticed the diseased condition of Monique’s mitral valve in the original photo. Monique had a mitral valve prolapse which caused her heart valve to leak and murmur.

David Adams, Heart Surgeon
Dr. David Adams – Monique’s Heart Surgeon

Most importantly… Monique is doing well after mitral valve surgery. She writes to me, “I am feeling stronger every day — although I had an issue losing fluid weight after surgery. The nurses explained that my body was pumped with different medicines to protect my heart in the first several days following surgery. At the peak, I weighed 146 pounds. Now, I’m down to 128. I continue a daily Lasix and potassium regiment. Plus, I’m walking several times a day.”

Keep on tickin’ Monique!

Joseph says on October 11th, 2010 at 6:40 am

Dear Monique,

CONGRATULATIONS! God bless you for such a favorable outcome. Dr. Adam’s is one of the very best in the world. I met his partner Paul Stelzer about doing my AVR. I liked him very much, truly a human being, a good soul.

Heal well, and live a long and fruitful life,

Joseph

Fred Meyer says on October 11th, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Wow! Amazing pictures – Good to hear Monique – I had my Mitral valve repaired back in May of 2009 and just recently had my latest echocardiogram 1.5 years after surgery. Heart valve looked 100% functional with no regurgitation! Also, feeling great, out golfing, exercising, riding horses, etc. I’m so greatful for the medical technology that allowed me to keep on going with an active life. I’m sure you are as well! Blessings! Fred

Tanya says on October 12th, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Great Pics! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Cindy says on October 12th, 2010 at 10:17 pm

I CRIED when I saw my before & after pictures from my MV repair with Dr. Adams in Feb ’09!!!! Could not BELIEVE anyone could fix something so horrendous looking!

I just had a complete cardiac check up Oct 1st … 4 mos. shy of 2 yrs since surgery … no murmur, NO regurgitation on echo, blood pressure & lung pressure great … both my cardiologist & internist just listen & SMILE :) … ME TOO!!!!!!!

Ms. Bernaclis Churchill says on October 15th, 2010 at 3:38 pm

My name is Ms. Bernaclis Churchill, and I have MVP with regurgitation, with an EF of 40, my longtime cardiologist told me that I need a MV repair, but I cannot find anyone in Phila., PA to do it at Jefferson hospital where I work. My boss, who is a physician stated that he would not refer anyone here to me. I stuck, and down’t know what to do. My supervisor thinks that I should get a second opinion at the Jefferson Heart Institute, and so does a friend of mine. I like my doctor, and don’t want to cause any ill feelings, but this is a surprise to me, especially since I’ve been going to him for over 14 years.
Please help. my email address is: Les.churchill@jeffersonhospital.org