Which is more important, finding a good surgeon in the city you live or traveling to go to the "best" surgeon? I am struggling with this since I can't seem to find a surgeon/hospital in the Phoenix area that has the reputation and/or experience I feel is necessary for this critical of a surgery. I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts who have either traveled for surgery or picked the "best" surgeon in their area.
Curious if anybody has had the aneurysm procedure where they have to cool your body down in order to fix ascending aortic aneurysm because there is not enough room to clamp off aorta for bypass. Have to admit that when surgeon explained it to me I am a little freaked out. Any advice from anybody or know if the procedure has a specific name. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Well I have officially been put in a holding pattern. New tests showed aneurysm not as bad as original tests (4.5 cm vs. 5.1 cm). New plan is to test again in 6 months, if not change then I go to yearly monitoring.
This whole thing has definitely taught me a couple things, make sure you are 100% comfortable with your surgeon and hospital, and QUESTION EVERYTHING!!!!!! Had my wife and I not done extensive research and come up with questions, I would have ended up going to the surgeon who I was initially referred to who wanted to do an extremely complex and risky surgery.
We went to three different surgeons until we felt comfortable with what the plan was from the third surgeon. He has been extremely good about explaining everything and taking as much time as we need to answer our questions. The surgeon even questioned the original tests and wanted additional tests to re-measure the size of the aneurysm.
I am satisfied with the current plan and will do my best to move on with my life, knowing that at some point I will have to have surgery. I will continue to research, try to get more opinions and best options (repair valves vs replace). Who knows what will change between now and when I actually go under the knife, but I will just hope for the best.
Another CT scan and cardiac MRI today. Dr's still trying to find that "sweet spot" to do surgery. I don't like waiting on something that I know I will need but going to take some advice from others on this site to look at as a blessing. I will do more research and hopefully get an opinion from Cleveland Clinic on whether my aortic valve can be repaired instead of replaced.
Met with surgeon last week and he really threw me a curve ball. He basically said now was not the right time to have surgery. It is funny when I tell people this they say "oh that is good news". Actually I don't know if it is. My surgeon still says I need surgery to fix everything and I had my mind all set to have it next week and now it is retest in another 3 months. At this point I just want to get past the surgery and start the recovery.
One week away from surgery date. I have gone through the battery of tests (TEE, CT Scan, 3D TEE) and ready to hear what the surgeon has to say tomorrow. It has not completely hit me yet that I will be going through all this next week. Hopefully the surgeon has good news tomorrow.
Hello. I go into surgery next week and I am still not sure about what type of valve to go with. I'm 44 years old and know the pros and cons for each type. My biggest concern is the noise from a mechanical valve, specifically the On-x valve. Can anybody shed some light for me? I have read some articles saying it is quieter, but seems like those articles are older so don't know if they are an earlier generation valve.