I had a good visit today with my surgeon. The outcome was that we wait for surgery. There are two reasons why.
#1 He feels I'm too young
#2 I am not eligible for a repair.....I would have to have my valve replaced. The reason why is because both of my mitral valve leaflets prolapse and both are extremely thick. Those 2 combinations he said make it extremely difficult and pretty much impossible to repair.
He said he felt that if my current condition could be monitored for as long as possible we could postpone surgery and that would be the best outcome for my life. He then said that while I wait cardiac surgery will continue to advance even more over the years and my options could be much better. He said that my 2 options right now would be a porcine valve which could last between 10-15 years and then have to be replaced again or a mechanical valve which would last a lifetime except that I would have to be on a blood thinner which he said opens up a whole other can of worms.
While I was in his office he spoke to my Cardiologist and suggested that I be put on a Beta Blocker medication to lessen the pressure on my heart. He also thinks that may help my Ventricular PVC's. While starting the Beta Blocker he wants me to go through Cardiac Rehab so I can get back to exercising but be monitored to make sure everything is working the way it should and I can have the confidence that I won't pass out dead. I feel pretty good about our visit and guess I have now entered the phase of the waiting game. He said it could be 6 months from now, a year from now, 5 years from now, 10 years from now...or longer. He said he hopes to see me when I'm old. So for now I can breathe and not be concerned about surgery for the moment and be grateful that they will be monitoring me.
I have a very good group of physicians around me. Both my Cardiologist and my Primary Care Physician called me over the past couple of days to check on me and see how I am doing. They also were able to tell me more about the Cardiac/Thoracic Surgeon I will be meeting with on Tuesday which put my mind at ease. I will see how I feel Tuesday after meeting with him.
I do feel that through this process of finding out about my condition and everything leading up to this point that the Lord has been aware of me and there with me. I know he cares for my well being as well as that of each one of us going through our different heart procedures and health issues. I know that He is aware and wants the best for each one of us. I feel at peace about everything for the time being and know that if I keep my mind and heart focused on the important and right things in my life everything will fall into place. Sometimes what we want isn't always what is best for us. It would be super easy and naturally comforting to be able to go to a hospital that is known for having expertise in the heart and very highly qualified surgeons. But I also believe that there are hospitals that are still good and have very qualified surgeons capable of dealing with my case even though they are not as well known. I have checked my options over and although they are limited to a hospital that may not be nationally known in dealing with the heart I have faith that I am watched over and as long as I go with what I feel is right everything will work out for the better in the end.
Hoping that everyone enjoys this beautiful Sunday. I am off to church with my family!
As of yet I do not have a surgery date but I will be meeting with a cardiac and thoracic surgeon in my Drs. group. I had a good cry this morning because the hospital and surgeon I wantef doing my procedure are not within my insurance network. I can't find any reviews, etc. on the surgeon I will be seeing and it worries me a bit.