I'm a little over 3 months post-op for Mitral Valve repair. I have been feeling great and basically back to pre-surgery norm. I just had an Echo done on Friday and I got both good and bad news. The great news is that I have zero regurgitation and my valve and heart are functioning normally. The bad news is that the cardiologist sees an unidentifiable mass on the posterior leaflet, which is the leaflet that was resected and repaired. Both the cardiologist and surgeon do not seem overly concerned by it, but they are scheduling me a TEE to get a better look at what's going on. It sucks because I thought i was all in the clear. I still might be, but it is definitely not the news I was hoping for. On the bright side, I managed getting through surgery once already and know I could do it again of I had to. Has anyone had anything similar to this come up shortly after surgery?
Hi everyone, it has been a while since I posted here. I had a successful, minimally invasive MV repair a little over 3 weeks ago. The first 48 hrs were pretty rough, but it's amazing how much better I feel today. Everyone on this site was so helpful and encouraging prior to the surgery. It truly makes a difference talking to others who have gone through it. Thank you all and Adam for creating this site. Good luck to those with upcoming surgeries! When you're in pain after you wake up, just remember that it is only temporary and that each day you will feel better.
Hey heart valve community. My plan was to wait until after our baby was born to have my mitral valve repaired. Thankfully, my wife gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl. She's perfect. As expected, my surgery has been put on hold due to Coronav
Update posted on...
February 15, 2020
Hey heart valve community, I met with a surgeon this week and he gave me some positive news. He believes he will have a greater than 95% chance of repairing my mitral valve equally through either open heart or the more minimally invasive side entry approach. He also gave me an extremely low mortality percentage, less 0.15%. I have to choose between the bovine or mechanical if for some reason he cannot repair the valve. The type of surgery and type of valve are my choice? He laid out the pros and cons of both, but any advice from folks that have these valves would be helpful. Because of my age, mechanical will last for life but I might not need blood thinners with the bovine. Is that correct? Hoping for a repair and to not have to worry about that, but just in case. Any advice would be helpful in making that decision. Also, based on my health and test results, he believes waiting a few months until after our baby is born will not be a problem. Also, good luck to all of those with upcoming surgeries and those of you recovering. Stay strong and keep ticking as Adam would say.