Home > Adam's Blog > Do You...

Do You Have Any Bicuspid Aortic Valve Pictures?

Posted by Adam Pick on August 29th, 2007

So, I just received an email asking, “Do you have any pictures of a bicuspid aortic valve?”

Well, considering I had a bicuspid aortic valve for the first 33 years of my life, I definitely researched and located pictures of bicuspid aortic valves for my book.

As you can see below, the aortic valve on the left is normal – the valve has three leaflets and three cusps.

Bicuspid & Tricuspid Aortic Valve Drawings
Normal and Bicuspid Aortic Valve Diagrams

The valve on the right, however, is a bicuspid aortic valve. As you look at the diagram, you will note that the bicuspid heart valve only has two leaflets and two cusps. To learn more about BAV, click here.

This can become very problematic if the valve calcifies and becomes diseased with the condition known as aortic stenosis.

Here is a picture of a calcified aortic valve with stenosis:

Well. I hope that wasn’t too graphic for you. Those are some pictures of normal aortic valve, bicuspid aortic valves and calcified aortic valves.

Number Of Mitral Valves In The Heart? says on September 26th, 2007 at 8:44 pm

[...] However, it is possible for the other valves to have two leaflets. Personally, I had a bicuspid aortic valve which led to my heart valve surgery. Bicuspid valves can trigger heart valve disease including heart valve regurgitation and/or stenosis. [...]

Darrell Price says on December 16th, 2008 at 5:55 pm

I have an Edwards Bovine aortic valve replacement, procedure done Feb.22, 2007, which is now reguritating. Sonagram scheduled for Jan. 8, 2009 to monitor flow and if heart has enlarged. Anyone else have a leak after 15 months.

Janet Crumley, RN says on December 29th, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Adam,
Your book is a wonderful educational tool for patients. I am using it as a reference for a free clinic I am trying to get opened. Who published your book?
Janet Crumley

Nasar says on July 31st, 2009 at 10:11 am

Hi, I am 38 years old, and from Yorkshire. I have a condition called Marfans Syndrome, and am scheduled to have Valve Replacement later this year, though no date has been confirmed. I also have heart valve regurgitation and stenosis as a result of Marfans. Just found this website by chance really, but like the extract from the book. is it available in elecronic format ie a PDF. I am hopeful that it will answer a lot my questions, but the main one being, the quality of life after the operation.

Kind Regards

jeffery masiongale says on October 10th, 2010 at 2:42 pm

Hello
My name is Jeffery Masiongale, I was diagnosed with bi cuspid aortic valve at 33 yrs. Just turned 43 and just finished my 16th
brain surgery, 3 months post opp. what were leading symptons prior to the replacement valve? please feel free to contact me at anytime..thank you..

Jeffery Masiongale