My wife Cheryl, daughter Mary are at the hotel near Brigham and Women's. Have to arrive at the hospital at 0530. I can't describe how I feel
Numb, nervous, resolved. Thanks to all for your support, get back to you whenever we can
Bad sore throat and cold
Journal posted on March 18, 2015
I have 5 days until my surgery and came down with a bad soar throat and cold. I need it to be better by the surgery date. Yikes.
I have to be at Brigham and Women's 7:30 the 23rd of March for pre admission testing. Surgery is scheduled 5:30 the 24th of March. We have hotel room for my wife and daughter near the hospital I also think my son and daughter in law are coming up from NC. Bought a lift recliner this AM, things are starting to get real.
I have two questions, whats the typical length of time the intubation tube is left in after surgery and are you awake during this time. The other question is do you have a visiting nurse when you get home.
I met with Dr Cohn yesterday for about 30 minutes. He was extremely nice confirmed that I did in fact need my aortic valve replaced and that my blockage was in a top artery that was an important one. He said due to my size I would need the large incision which would let him do both the artery and the tissue valve and I wouln't need a blood thinner in the future. I need three more surgeries after this on other body parts. When Dr. Cohn got done he told me he no longer does surgery, rocked again. He recomended that I meet Dr. Sary Aranki who was in surgery at the time. Dr.Cohn said Dr. Aranki was his surgical son. We waited for two hours and met with Dr. Aranki. He said he would use a bovine valve. I asked if he had done many aortic valves to which he said that what he was doing in the morning and he was also doing one in the afternoon. My previous consultation regarding my teeth getting was that no surgery for three weeks after the extraction. These docs said didn't have to wait.
Well I went to the dentist as required by my surgeon to see if I have any infection in my mouth. Sure enough I do, need a tooth pulled. Dentist said dead tooth with a suspicious looking area under tooth. As of now I can’t get appointment with the oral surgeon till 23 Feb 15. I am on a, if anybody cancels list,. I see Dr Andrew Cohn 12 Feb weather permitting, seems like it keeps on snowing. Doctor said you should wait 3 weeks after oral surgery before heart surgery. I’m on 10 days of Amoxicillin. Looks like more waiting and no date.
I just received a call from Dr Lawrence Cohn 's office at Brigham and Womens hospital setting up an appointment for 12 February 15. Thanks to all for recommending I Consider a large good heart hospital. My GP put me on lorazepam to calm my overactive mind. I don't usually take drugs like this but I was getting bad and no sleep
I recieved an e-mail from Adam Pick yesterday, a thank you for buying his book and looked at the surgeon finder and noticed Dr. Larry Cohn at Brigham and Womens. I also had an appointment with my GP yesterday and he thought I could take the time and have a second opinion with Dr. Cohn. I have a scheduled date of 24 Feb 15 with a local doctor that is head of cardiology at a local hospital. I am having second thoughts about having the surgery down here and that I should go the 2 hours to Boston. I am concerned about my wife going back and forth. To be honest I am in a bad way emotionaly regarding the surgery trying to make the best descision. I notice Dr Cohn is associated with miteal valves does he do aortic valves. Thanks everyone
This is my first entry. I have just been given a date for surgery of 24 Feb 2014. I am a basket case. Trying to stay strong but having a difficult time. I am having a aortic valve replaced and a bypass. the surgeon informed me theu would decide later on wah type or surgery they would do. I am glad I have found this site.