About Dr. Vinay Badhwar,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Vinay Badhwar and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from University of Ottawa in 1993. To date, I have performed approximately 5,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 3,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at West Virginia University Heart & Vascular Institute. Read more...
13 Patient Reviews for
"Dr.Badhwar is a wonderful doctor. He is very caring to his patients. He gets right to the point of how your surgery could go. That's what I love about him.
My surgery went very well. I healed up nice. I would recommend Dr. Badhwar to anyone. He is the best surgeon around."
-- Marla Jones, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 12/19/2023
"I had Robotic Aortic Valve Replacement. At the time, Dr. Badhwar was the only surgeon doing Robotic AVR. No broken bones! And, no zipper! Fast Recovery! Great surgeon in all aspects. Talented beyond belief. Genuine good guy!"
-- Patrick Riley, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 11/03/2022
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Complex and robotic mitral valve repair
- Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- Cox-Maze procedure for atrial fibrillation
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Optimal quality outcomes in cardiac surgery
- Early minimally invasive intervention for mitral valve disease
- Atrial fibrillation
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Vinay Badhwar, heart surgeon, graduated from University of Ottawa in 1993.
Dr. Badhwar is a certified fellow of the American Board of Surgery, the American College of Cardiology and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons.
He is a member of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, the American College of Cardiology, the European Society for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery and the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery.
Dr. Badhwar was awarded the Enriquez Lopez Innovative Humanitarian Award in 2006 for his progressive reconstructive heart surgery techniques in Tampa, FL and he was named the 2010 Orlando Healthcare Hero by the Orlando Business Journal. In 2010, he was named as an American Top Doctor as well as America’s Most Compassionate Doctor by the National Patient’s Choice Award.
During his time at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, Dr. Badhwar received the Faculty of the Year Award by the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery of the University of Pittsburgh Medical School in 2012 and 2013 for his leadership in education.
In 2016, Dr. Badhwar was recruited to become the executive chair of the newly formed WVU Heart & Vascular Institute which will be headquartered in a new $200 million, 10-story tower scheduled to open in 2017 on WVU Medicine's main campus.
For his research in mitral valve surgery, Dr. Badhwar was honored by the Society of Thoracic Surgeons by receiving the prestigious 2012 J. Maxwell Chamberlain Award for the nation’s best research paper in adult cardiac surgery.
Dr. Badhwar completed his Surgical Residency at McGill University in 1998 and his Cardiothoracic Fellowship at the University of Ottawa in 2000.
with Dr. Vinay Badhwar, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Badhwar, you can:
- Call (888) 625-3189 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Badhwar is located at 1 Medical Center Drive, Morgantown, WV 26506. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Badhwar’s office.
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Vinay Badhwar
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Vinay Badhwar:
- Aortic Valve Repair: What Should Patients Know?
- Heart Surgery Innovation: Robotic Technology Advances Mitral Valve Repair
- Primary vs. Secondary Mitral Regurgitation: Top 5 Facts
- Dr. Badhwar Interview: Are Heart Palpitations a Mitral Regurgitation Symptom?
- Top AFib & Heart Valve Surgeons: Dr. Vinay Badhwar
- Dr. Vinay Badhwar Teaches Mitral Valve Repair Wet Lab
- 12 Leading Heart Surgeons Film 20 Educational Videos!
- Surgical Breakthrough: The HAART Aortic Annuloplasty Device Cleared by the FDA
- Technology Update: Can "Leadless" Pacemakers Fix Leaking Heart Valves?
- Expert Surgeon Profile: Vinay Badhwar, MD, at WVU Medicine in Morgantown, West Virginia
- Medical Technology: Is Robotic Aortic Valve Replacement The Newest Innovation in Heart Valve Surgery?
- 6 Heart Valve Experts Show Support for Heart Valve Disease Patients!
- Top 3 Mitral Valve Repair Surgery Innovations with Dr. Vinay Badhwar
Page last updated: February 14, 2024