I am getting differing opinions as to the timing of my surgery. I was considering changing doctors and was in the middle of this when it was time to have my ...Read more
I am getting differing opinions as to the timing of my surgery. I was considering changing doctors and was in the middle of this when it was time to have my six month echo and CT. The echo and CT Scan measured my ascending aortic aneurysm at 4.9 (it grew .2 cm in 6 mo.) and my bicuspid aortic valve with mild stenosis and moderate regurgitation. The valve has been stable for ten years. I have a surgeon that indicated in the next six months it was time to take care of the aneurysm but said that he could not give me a better valve than the one I currently have. Another cardiologist at the new medical provider said that they wait until the aneurysm measures 5.5 cm when people are asymptomatic and the valve would be replaced at the same time. I am concerned because if it was only the valve we were dealing with I would still be waiting. Why would they remove a valve that is still functioning? Has anyone had this or similar situation?
I have been following everyones journey and have found many posts to be insightful and thought provoking. Thanks!