Worse thing was nausea. My surgery the amazing, the staff at Saint Johns hospital in Santa Monica. 5 star. Heart surgeon 1 of the best in the nation. I am so grateful to live life again without the grey cloud over my head when do I have to have surgery. Probably home today if the meds can get my heart rate down. I've walked the halls, climbed the stairs with the PT dept will see.
Couldn't ask for a greater place to have surgery. 7 hours later in the ICU woke up and extubated that evening alls well until my body realized it had anesthesia. Dry heaves fresh post op incision and all morphine made the nausea worse, 3 anti nausea meds didn't help.
Woke up planning as many projects as possible. Turned on the pool heater because we never heat the pool because of the cost so I cranked it up to 88. I plan to swim in it tonight with my daughter and granddaughter. Maybe it will calm my nerves.
I did all my projects and I was doing fine till I had to talk to the anesthesiologist and that seemed to bring it to reality. Time has come, new parts will be put in place tomorrow.
I feel safe with the heart team the surgeon a the staff who will take care of me. Having said that I am scared just like any other patient. In my career I have seen all the things that can go wrong. But at this point I have been guided to Saint Johns Health center. Great nursing care , excellent doctors and my Family for 35 years.Im using meditation and prayer to keep me calm and when that fails I take a small chip of a 1 mg Ativan to get sleep and keep my mind from wondering. Scheduled surgery for Wednesday. So here I go",",",
He showed me the valve I would be getting. I chose a tissue valve because I ride horses, waterski, snow ski and occasionally still surf. So no coumadine for me. Besides in 10 years all valves will be replaced percoutaneously. The new bovine valves are lasting 20 years. We got authorization for the surgery and did all the preop testing all in a few hours. So here we go.
My aortic valve is a .69 with 42 x 42 ascending aneurysm. JR and I have decided on a bovine magnum (I'll get the official name later.) I went for a heart cath Thursday and it reviled it was time to get a new valve very little circulation from that valve. My energy is nothing like it use to be. And they don't want me to ride my horses and take it easy while I figure out surgery. I tried to stay quiet for one day post heart cath and I knew that waiting at all would not be for me so , I called the next day to tell the surgeon John Robertson lets get this done!!!!