Mortality Rates For Mitral Valve Repair
One of the big questions that patients have specific to mitral valve repair surgery is, "What are the mortality rates?"
It's a great question and I personally remember thinking the exact same thing when I was getting ready for my heart valve surgery.
You should know that as medical technology, physician education and surgical techniques have advanced over the years, the mortality rate for mitral valve repair surgery has steadily declined.
To better understand mitral valve repair mortality rates, I recently reviewed heart valve surgery data from several leading cardiac centers and associations in the United States.
Here are several mitral valve repair mortality rates to consider:
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons suggests the current mortality rate for mitral valve repair is 1.5% compared to 5.5% for mitral valve replacement.
- Dr. David Adams, a leading mitral valve repair surgeon, has had only 5 operative deaths in 701 mitral valve repair procedures during the past 20 years.
- Dr. Marc Gillinov, the Chairman of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Cleveland Clinic, reports 3 deaths in 1,072 procedure performeds at the Cleveland Clinic.
- Dr. Patrick McCarthy, the Executive Director of the Bluhm Cardiovascular Institute at Northwestern Memorial Hospital, reports a 0.4% mortality rate for isolated mitral valve repair surgeries.
I hope the information above helped you learn more about the mortality rates of mitral valve repair surgery.
You May Also Like
To help you learn more about mitral valve prolpase and its treatment options, here is additional educational information and patient success stories to educate and empower you:
- Dispelling The Fear of Heart Valve Surgery
- Mitral Valve Repair Surgery: Patient Information
- New Finding: Mitral Valve Repair for Mitral Regugitation Restores Life Expectancy
- Patient Video: Why Did Janet Want a Heart Valve Repair for Mitral Prolapse?
- Surgeon Q&A: How Durable Is A Mitral Valve Annuloplasty Ring?
- Free Patient eBook: Advantages of Mitral Valve Repair
- Before & After Surgery Pictures: Tim's Leaking Mitral Valve
- Meet Patients with Mitral Prolapse in Our Community
Page last updated: January 20, 2019