Valve procedures and COVID - many here are posting that their surgeries are going forward with no problems. Is anyone being delayed or postponed by COVID concerns at their facilities? I am a low risk patient scheduled for TAVR in a few weeks at a very experienced heart hospital. They appear to be going forward with everyone.
Hey people, I got on here about a month ago after I learned my aortic valve will be replaced soon. A murmur was discovered almost 8 years ago and the valve has been monitored with ultrasound since. In the last few weeks I had an angiogram, TEE and CT scan. I have no real CAD and the valve is tricuspid. I am 67, but the doc says I am not too young for TAVR. I realize the valve would need replaced again in 10-15 years. I am confident this is a good route for me to take. My procedure is scheduled for mid December. I will keep you posted. Anyone have TAVR stories? By the way, you people on here are awesome!
I just joined the group as I am soon to need my aortic valve replaced. It’s been 8 years since the murmur was found and now stenosis is severe and the valve needs replaced. Yesterday I had an angiogram and was delight I have no coronary artery disease at all. Things kind of went off the rails after that. My cardiologist came in and said I could have valve surgery the next day, which would be today, totally out of the blue. I asked if I had an emergency situation and he said no. Apparently a surgeon was available. He was very busy and I only got to talk to him a few minutes. I decided not to do it that quickly without more consultation. This very well-related heart hospital has a website that give their SOP for surgery. Once it is time, you are scheduled for a day of testing and consultation and then the recommended surgery is scheduled. That is what I requested, by I have to wait three weeks for this. They said it should be safe to wait.
Does anyone have a bicuspid valve? I didn’t think I did, but now I am not sure. I have seen the same cardiologist for five years and had five echos. Never one did he mention I may have a bicuspid valve, which I understand is congenital. I read about it and apparently it is not that easy to see on conventional echo and take considerable experience to see. They will do a TEE, which gives a clearer view. What surprises me is that after five years I don’t know if my condition is congenital. I though if that weas the case I would have been diagnosed with valve disease at a much younger age. Also, those with bicuspid valve might not qualify for TAVR, because part of the aortic root may need replaced with conventional valve surgery. So while I now not worried about having a heart attack, I am more confused until the tests are done. I just wish it could happen sooner.
This is my first post. I have known about my stenosis for about eight years. It became moderate about five years ago. I just started having symptoms recently that I could recognize (mild chest discomfort when walking and spikes in heart rate). Echo shows the condition recently became severe. My cardiologist says I should have surgery within the month. I don’t know if I need any bypass yet or what kind of surgery will be recommended. I am 67 and just retired. I want to be here for it! I know the outlook should be good. What do you do to stay calm?