I received a copy of Adam's book yesterday (ordered a lightly used copy off Amazon), and I am almost done reading it already. I also got a call from Mayo Clinic cardiovascular surg. scheduler finally last Fri. for a consult w/ a surgeon & testing on July 10th & 11th. I'm excited for the chance for a second opinion and see what another surgeon thinks I need to have done, and when.
I am very hesitant to get a mech. valve because of life-long meds and bleeding risks. But I am at an age (48) that's kind of tough to choose. With a tissue valve, I am apt to endure at least 2 more surgeries or "adaptations" to the aortic valve in the future. I am wondering if I would be a candidate for the Ross Procedure and plan to ask about it. However, I also realize that only certain surgeons perform this surgery. - Maybe w/ my aortic aneurysm, the (Ross) procedure may not be an option(?) - I will find out in due time :)
I have been experiencing symptoms of angina, shortness of breath, and light-headedness in the last six months or so, but now it seems more often. I am trying to take it easy, but finding it hard not living as actively as I want. Guess I will just have to wait 'til July to find out some things and figure out which surgeon I will ultimately choose.
As far as all my tests have shown, I do not have a dilated or thickened left ventricle... yet. So, I should be good for a few more months I hope.
Finally, all who have had, are having, or will be having heart surgery before me, I commend you for your bravery! I have only to fear fear itself, right??
Until next time–bye for now.
Hello–This is my first entry and I am most of all relieved there is THIS! ...Where I may air my thoughts, concerns, fears–and joys possibly?! I have not even finalized my choice in a surgeon yet, so consequently no surgery date for an aortic valve replacement and thoracic aortic aneurysm repair (replace?) which both have been deemed imminent by my cardiologist. Have had CT scan, angiogram, and dental procedures taken care of, so I continue to keep doing the next right thing :) Waiting for consult w/ cardiac surgery team at Mayo Clinic for second opinion with them. (Have been promised a call on Monday.) We'll see?! Anxious to have a set date for surgery then will hopefully be able to rest "easy" until "The Day". All my family and friends whom I've told about my heart are very much concerned that things aren't happening quick enough and so I want to be able to give them some new info. & a date!
I am grateful for this space to share and also intensely interested in what most of you have to say–what you are feeling, experiencing, etc. Personally, I cannot wait to feel good again, have energy, and actually be able to play hard w/ my 8 yr-old son! I want my new life(post-op) to be like my old life again.