I was diagnosed with a heart murmur at age 17. I had an echocardiogram at that time and was told I have mitral valve prolapse and likely would have no problems with it. Fast forward to age 55 when my murmur became worse (noticed by my daughter who was studying to be a nurse practitioner). I saw a cardiologist again and had a much more modern echocardiogram. This time I was told I had a bicuspid aortic valve and not mitral valve prolapse. Still no need to do anything other than an echo every 5 years. In 2018 my cardiologist noted a change with some minor calcification and a gradient of 18. I was told they don’t worry until it reaches 40. Then last December I had another echo and suddenly I had severe aortic stenosis and they wanted heart cath. and referral for surgery. The gradient had gone from 28 to 59! After a second opinion at Cleveland and finding a new cardiologist because we had just moved, it has been decided that I will have surgery where my daughter is working in Austin, TX July 13.
Addendum: Surgery was cancelled at the doc’s recommendation due to the Covid situation in Austin! The anxiety continues! Meanwhile I have been with my current cardiology group only 5 months but my cardiologist is leaving for the second time. I plan on changing groups and my pcp agrees. Nothing so far has been smooth about this experience. I hope the eventual surgery will be!
Addendum #2: Surgery is rescheduled for September 21. Looks like a go this time. Heading from Michigan to Austin, TX tomorrow!
More Info About Me & My Heart
More About Me
My surgery date is:
September 21, 2020
I was diagnosed with:
Bicuspid Aortic Valve