Bob Sugarman posted a note for Roger that says:
Hi Roger, I had my MV fixed years ago. Here's some nonmedical advice.
• The scariest part is before the operation; after recovery, you’ll feel confident and grateful
• If they’re going to crack your sternum (mine was), try to work on your leg muscles before surgery, like deep knee bends, so you can get out of bed with just your legs and not using your arms to push up
• Bring an Amazon Firestick, Apple TV, or Roku box to the hospital so you can watch Netflix or something other than the cable TV channels
• When you get home and get up in the morning, immediately wash your face, shave, brush your teeth, and put on some comfortable loose clothing – it makes you feel like yourself and not a patient
• Get into cardio rehab as soon as your doctor lets you and work hard at it – they’re the ones who put me back together.
I am from Melbourne too and had heart surgery three months ago to repair an aortic aneurysm and aortic valve. I had my surgery at the Alfred and my surgeon was Assoc. Professor Silvana Marasco who was just amazing. . I have been back at work for 6 weeks now and am recovering well. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions or concerns you may have regarding the surgery.