About Dr. Juan Crestanello,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Juan Crestanello and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from University of the Republic of Uruguay Medical School, Uruguay in 1991. To date, I have performed approximately 6,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 4,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at hospitals including Mayo Clinic Hospital and Saint Marys Campus. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is I’m committed to providing excellent cardiac surgery care to patients with simple and complex cardiac pathologies including heart valve disease. I strive to provide technical excellence and compassionate care to my patients. I trained in cardiothoracic surgery at the Mayo Clinic and then practiced cardiac surgery at The Ohio State University before returning to Mayo Clinic. My areas of clinical interest include:
* Heart valve surgery including minimally invasive and robotic surgery
* Heart valve repair and replacement
* Transcatheter valve procedures for the aortic and mitral valve
* Cardiac reoperations
* Surgery for endocarditis
* Surgery for carcinoid heart disease
* Pulmonary embolism and thromboendarterectomy surgery
* Adult congenital heart surgery
* Aortic aneurysm surgery
* Coronary bypass surgery including minimally invasive and robotic surgery
5 Patient Reviews for
"I feel Dr. Crestanello saved my life and brought back my quality of life. He’s a caring surgeon and I highly recommend him!"
-- Donna Hatfield, Mitral Valve, Tricuspid Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 03/19/2020
"Very experienced in 2nd heart surgeries. Bedside manner was awesome. I felt very at ease. Eight months post surgery, 77 years old and doing great!"
-- Marjorie Murphy, Aortic Valve, Mitral Valve, Valve Replacement, 09/07/2018
-- Cynda O'Brien, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, Mini-Thoracotomy / Port Access, 11/03/2011
-- Jon Farmer, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 06/02/2011
-- MARTHA McGINNIS, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 09/13/2010
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Minimally invasive heart valve surgery (aortic, mitral, and tricuspid)
- Aortic valve, mitral valve, pulmonary valve and tricuspid valve repair and replacement
- Re-operative valve surgery, multiple valve surgery, concomitant procedures with valve surgery
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Clinical outcomes after cardiac surgery
- Development of new procedures to treat heart valve diseases
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Juan Crestanello, heart surgeon, graduated from University of the Republic of Uruguay Medical School, Uruguay in 1991.
After medical school, Dr. Crestanello completed a General Residency at MCP Hahnemann University School of Medicine in 1999. Then, Dr. Crestanello completed a Residency at the University of Maryland, Department of Surgery, in 2001. To further his specialty, Dr. Crestanello completed a Thoracic Surgery Residency at Mayo Graduate School of Medicine in 2004.
Dr. Crestanello is board certified in General Surgery and Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery. During his career, Dr. Crestanello has received several awards and acknowledgements including:
* 2015: “Thomas E. Williams Jr. MD, PhD” Award for Excellence in Teaching Division of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery
* 2014: Providers Recognized for Top Patient Satisfaction Nationally, OSU Wexner Medical Center
* 2003: Jack Taylor Foundation Travel Award for outstanding clinical and academic achievement, O.T. Clagett
* 1999: American College of Chest Physicians Young Investigator Award, The CHEST Foundation
* 1994: Second Prize, Pennsylvania Association for Thoracic Surgery
* 1990: "Forum” Research Award, The 41st Uruguayan Congress of Surgery
with Dr. Juan Crestanello, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Crestanello, you can:
- Call (507) 710-1475 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Crestanello is located at 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Crestanello’s office.
Page last updated: July 20, 2021