Can't believe it's been almost a year this Thurs. Feel good, but have constant problems with PACs. Anyone else have these which are bothersome? I've been tried on Beta Blockers, but they just don't do anything for me. I'm tired and just can't handle them anymore. Thanks for your response...
I am 3-1/2 months post-op and went to the store yesterday and loaded a case of beer in my cart, as well as a 24-pack of soda. I then had to lift it again onto the checkout belt and then in my car. Now I'm hurting big time. My husband said it was probably 25 - 30 lbs each what I lifted, which I had no clue, and thought I could do that kind of lifting at this point. I guess not. What is the weight limit for post-op, etc.?
Not only did I break a glass while putting it in the dishwasher and cut my hand, but cut it in 5 places!!! Scared me to death. Had the ER on the phone trying to find out if I should come in as I couldn't get the bleeding to stop. I put pressure on my hand and it stopped, but it keeps oozing and now I have bandaids on there to catch any recurrent bleeding. Anyone else have issues with cutting yourself while on blood thinners?
We leave on a cruise in 3 weeks and there is no way I will be able to even eat what is offered, but I guess that is when to have a loss of appetite eh??? I've been on cruises before and gained 10 lbs easily in a week. I'm liking it too, but now I have no shorts that fit me and I'm sure the selection at Kohl's is nil due to the time of year.
I will be 5 weeks post-op tomorrow and all is going pretty good. Has anyone noticed a huge decrease in appetite status post? I get hungry, but when I go to eat, I have a few bites then lose interest. Down about 15 lbs so far, which is okay with me, but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. Thanks in advance!!!
Dad and I were able to she mom for a very short visit in recovery. Dad said when he first walked in she opened her eyes and asked what time it was then went back to sleep. Definitly, sounds like a mom question, always worried about what time it is and what still needs to be done. Unfortunatly, I was still finishing my breast pumping in the waiting room and missed it but rushed right in shortly after and saw her at 4:00 pm yesterday. Her nurse said she was doing great and wouldn't be suprised if they got her up walking today. I feel horrible I had to leave her side but I know that she's in good hands. Dad did a follow up call at 6:45 pm and me at 8:45 pm last night and all was well. Mom is very strong and I know will get through this. I just hate to see her in pain.
Thank you for all your much needed prayers. The next couple of days will be the hardest but I know she will feel so much better in the end.
Dad will be back at the hospital today to cheer mom on and I will visit later this afternoon when my brother comes to town. I will be sure to keep everyone posted.
Mom went into the OR at 8:30am to be preped and was nice and relaxed at 10:00am right before surgery. Waiting to hear for a noon update regarding her surgery. Thank you for all your kind wishes and prayers.
I kept waiting for that phone call that I had a repreive but it never came. I have to believe everything will be just fine. I've got a lot of people counting on me to get well. Thank you everyone for your guestbook words of encouragement and prayers. What an awesome place to come to to read them and help me through this. My daughter will take my place in posting for now. I wish those of you facing your surgery a speedy recovery as well.
All went well, besides the fact that I ended up being a pin cushion. I have bad veins, never can find a good one to start an IV. Did the angiogram and the cardiologist couldn't see one are very well, so ordered a CAT scan. I had to lay on my back for six hours waiting for the dye to exit my system before this could happen. Also, was not allowed to eat, so I was going on 21 hours of no food by that point. Did the CAT scan and all was clear, so no blockages. So, will be doing the mitral valve repair only tomorrow....unless I back out. Did anyone else have those thoughts of backing out??? I mean, I feel fine, so why do I need this? But, when the pros tell you it's time, I guess it's time. Anyways, will try to post again before D-Day in the morning. Need to be there by 6:00 a.m. and surgery is at 8:30.
My doctor had me do a Dobutamine Stress Echo to see if it showed the same type of regurgitation on my mitral valve as my exercise stress test does so they could use the Dobutamine to test the repaired valve after surgery and before I leave the OR. It did not show the same type of regurgitation so he has another way to test the repair. It really wasn't bad, not like the one I had 5 years ago so that was nice. I go in to do my pre-op testing tomorrow, and that's pretty much an all day affair. Will be glad to have the weekend off before the angiogram on Monday. Thanks again for all the well wishes, thoughts and prayers. It's amazing to have that kind of support!!!
Will be heading out this morning to California to begin the process of preparation for surgery. Scheduled Dobutamine TEE test tomorrow. Friday, most of the day, will be pre-op testing, labs, etc. Spend weekend in San Diego with the family. Angiogram is Monday morning. Tuesday will be a resting day and Wednesday will be the surgery at Hoag Hospital in Newport Beach. This is becoming more real now that the time has come, but I'm positive everything will be fine. I have too many people expecting me back, my family, Kim, Sarah and Besty at work, as well as many friends. There, of course, is a positive in all of this process, I get to hang out with my grandkids. That part I'm very excited about!!! Eh,and I guess hanging out with my daughter (nurse maid) and my crazy son-in-law has some perks as well. Well, I will post later. It's a 7 hour drive and hope to be on the road in about 2 hours. Take care....
So, just got a denial letter for my valve repair on Sept 29th...now what? Surgeon's office said they are appealing it, that this happens a lot. Certain medically necessity criteria measurements weren't found on the supporting documents. Anyone have this happen?
I had a TEE last October, but this one they are doing will be the Dobutamine TEE where they inject Dobutamine to get your heart racing. I will be knocked out for that, thank goodness. Just wondering if anyone else has had this type of TEE. Thanks for all of your responses :)
I have a surgery date scheduled of Sept 29th for mitral valve repair. I will be having a dobutamine TEE on Sept 23rd to determine what type of repair I will have. Has anyone undergone one of these? Also, I'm reading some posts of post-op patients and wondering if I need to expect weight gain/swelling and how to plan for that post-op. I will be traveling 7 hours from home to have this surgery and want to be prepared with what I take with me. Thanks in advance!!!
So, I got a call on Friday from the doctor's office in Calif who does my supine stress echos and I've been asked to attend the Echo Conference in Huntington Beach and provided a room for 2 nites at the Hilton Waterfront Hotel. Want to use me as the example for the stress echo for the attendees to see. Hopefully they will keep me on the list for any conferences possibly held in Hawaii, Caribbean, Austrailia!!! I can dream can't I?
Okay, here we go...I don't like posting because I haven't figured out how to delete my daughter off of my updates, she's very pushy ya know :)
Anyhoos....Did the repeat supine stress echo and was pushed to do it all the way through, which was very, very hard. I immediately went into severe regurg with the stage I part, stage II my BP went up to 170/83 and stayed about the same through stage III. It was also scary as it caused fluid to build up in my left lung. I heard wheezing and crackling in my lung as I was trying to catch my breath and it scared me and I asked them why that was happening and they asked if I had asthma, which I don't. Well, it's from the regurgitation and I had an extremely hard workout, according to the staff, i.e., fluid buildup. Met with the doctor afterwards and he's suggesting starting on a BP med to hopefully help with BP numbers with minimal exercise, then in a couple of weeks start an additional BP med and then later diuretic, all low doses as my normal BPs are usually 120/80. Monitor this for 3 months then will decide what to do. He also said because of the LBBB, should consider moving back to sea level within 3 years. I asked my cardiologist about this and they've never heard of elevation being harmful, (I live at 7,000 feet and have for about 9 years). So basically, back to square 1 of being totally confused and not sure of what's going to happen. Any insight or feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I am scheduled to see the doctor in Calif at Hoag Hospital for another supine stress echo and then meet with the electrophysiologist on March 17th, Ellen Degeneres on March 18th and then head back home on the 21st probably. I work in a clinic and the doctor here, (Family Practice), said he would go on the recommendations of my cardiologist, just to follow up every six months with a resting echo, that a surgeon is going to recommend surgery and that as long as I'm asymptomatic, I should not do anything. Am I being too proactive? He kind of makes me feel like I'm being a hypochondriac.
I had my follow up echo and the regurgitation is the same, moderate to severe, but now shows diastolic dysfunction. What does that mean? I also have LBBB. I'm to go back in six months again for my echo follow up, but thinking about doing the recommended follow up in Calif that the doctor suggested to do in 3 months from my last supine stress echo. Don't know if I should move forward with surgery or just do the every six months' follow up. I don't want to wait until there's damage, but I don't want to be a hypochondriac either. Anyone else face these questions?
So, I was diagnosed with moderate to severe mitral valve regurgitation in July. My 6 month follow up is on Thursday, January 28th. I researched some surgeons in Calif and visited one in October of 2009. Dr. Shah at Hoag performed a supine bicycle exercise stress test and I went into immediate severe regurgitation. Met with the surgeon, Dr. Rainey afterwards, and he said surgery should be done within 3 months. My cardiologist is following the regurgitation and didn't suggest surgery yet. Why the difference of opinions??? Anyone else go through this. I also have left bundle branch block and the doctor in California would like me to meet with an electrophysiologist as well. Again, my cardiologist has never suggested this. Any feedback would be nice.