YEA!!! --ITS OVER--Well at least the surgery part--Surgery was about 3 hours--He was on the bypass for 111 minutes with his heart stopped for about 89 minutes. They replaced the aortic valve, we went with a mechanical st Jude valve, and about 3-4 inches of the root. He had 2 chest tubes, 1 art line, central line, foley cath and on the vent--He was taken off the vent about 2 hours after surgery.
As of today he has been up in the chair 2 times, the art line is out--1 chest tube comes out today and the central, plus the foley. We are discharged from ICU but the hospital is full on the cardiac floor. He ate a good breakfast and only has some pain -- of course where they cracked the ribs.
On our way to recovery--YEA!!
Well the date is getting close AGAIN--So far Jim is over his cold--I still do not have all my voice back yet but it is a lot better. I really hope we can get this over with this time--I put in for FMLA again and I hate all the paper work everything requires. Jim goes Monday for his 2nd pre-op--I think they only have to do the blood work over again. Well we sill see how things go and hopefully it will go by fast especially Wed and we start on the recovery road.
Today was to be the big day
BUT due to this lovely cold both of us picked up somewhere surgery has been cancelled for today. The Doctor wants to talk with Jim and we will go from their for another date.. We propably need to wait at least 2 - 4 weeks before doin this surgery so to get Jim back into the best possible health we can before surgery. I'll keep you informed.
As the day of surgery we both get more anxious--As I (Mary Beth) keep saying I cannot wait for the day and I hope it does not come. Surgery is suppose to take place this coming Tuesday 2/8--We went for the pre-op yesterday and that was a disaster. A 2hour appointment turned into 3 1/2 hours and no reason why. I was upset enough BUT with Jim being the patient and having very little patiences plus the stres etc of the upcoming surgeery it was not a pretty site. We survived it BUT I did send a e-mail to the hospital letting them know our feelings.
Then to top everything off Jim has come down with a chest cold and about 12 hours later I started to come down with it. The Doctor says he will evaluate it before surgery Tuesday but I am waiting till Monday and if no improvement I feel we should cancel till at least Jim is well. Thius along with SNOW here and moreo come to Oklahoma I think another day is what we should plan. Please keep us in your prayers as the coming week approches especially if surgery goes off on Tuesday--I will let you know.
Well Jim made it threw his 2nd Cath--The good news is he has no blockage of his arteries. Unfortunately he still needs to have the aortic valve and part of the aortic root replace.
We are still looking at Feb 8th for the surgery. Jim and I have planned the time off. I am planning on taking at least 2 weeks off but if Jim needs me I'll stay off longer. Jim is hoping to be back at work after 4 weeks.
We are both pretty scared. I just pray everything goes well.
This past Wed. Father Phil had a mass for healing with blessing of the sick after the homily. Jim and I both went.
I will update you all as we go along. Keep Jim and us in your prayers.