Dr. Bryon Boulton
Dr. Bryon Boulton
3000 New Bern Avenue, Suite 1100
Raleigh, NC 27610
About Dr. Bryon Boulton,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Bryon Boulton and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 2002. To date, I have performed approximately 5,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 3,500 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at WakeMed Raleigh Campus. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is my focus on advanced cardiac surgery techniques that benefit patients. In my opinion, cardiac surgery is the most technically demanding surgical subspecialty. I excel as a technically superior surgeon, routinely offering surgeries that other surgeons did not know are technically feasible. This has translated into serving as a proctor to teach other board-certified practicing heart surgeons who desire to expand their practice and technical capabilities.
Another important strength of mine is combining the above-referenced approach with a patient-centered focus on treating each patient as I would want my family member to be treated.
I intentionally meet with each patient myself in consultation, taking as much time as necessary to make sure that every question and concern that they and their family have before surgery is addressed, and they feel comfortable and confident entrusting their lives to my care.
I consider it a privilege to carry such a great responsibility as operating on someone’s heart, seeking to walk with them through the entirety of their journey from a pre-operative discussion through the completion of their recovery process.
4 Patient Reviews for
"Dr. Boulton was very informative, extremely knowledgeable, calm, reassuring, very experienced and was always available to answer any questions. My surgery was a huge success. My recovery went better than expected. I would highly recommend him. He is the best in his field."
-- Christy Dixon, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 12/14/2020
"Dr. Boulton removed my vegetated prosthetic aortic valve that was blood culture negative and later believed to have been caused by getting scratched by a Cat “Bartonella”. The valve was quite infected along with the area around the valve.
If it wasn’t for Dr. Boulton’s creativity and endurance “8 hour surgery“, I would not be here today.
He has excellent bedside manners, very positive, post-operation with me that really helped. I’m doing great and would recommend him to friends and family."
-- James luihn, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 04/16/2018
"Dr. Boulton is an amazingly competent and proficient surgeon. In addition to his surgical skills, he is compassionate, kind, insightful and very caring. His demeanor is both calming and reassuring which is so important to a patient facing major valve surgery. He took time to explain in detail the entire surgical procedure, possible risks and recovery in terms that could easily be comprehended and understood. Dr. Boulton was always very attentive to questions and concerns ensuring that I was at ease and confident with the procedure and post-surgery follow up.
Prior to surgery, Dr. Boulton also took great care in evaluating my heart and health. Accordingly, he was able to determine that he could perform a minimally invasive procedure which allowed a quicker and easier recovery. For his expertise in valve surgery, I am extremely grateful. My recovery went smoothly and I have enjoyed life to the fullest.
I would highly recommend Dr. Boulton. His competence as a surgeon and his personal approach to care make him the BEST in my book. I am so thankful that he put his “heart” into my surgery."
-- Audrey Kane, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 06/14/2017
"Dr. Boulton was a bright light in what seemed like a dark tunnel in October 2013. I was in the best shape of my life and received the shocking news that I would need life-saving heart surgery based on a defect discovered during a physical with my primary physician.
My wife and I anxiously awaited a surgery consult late on a Friday night post-cardiac catheterization to confirm my preliminary diagnosis of a 5.8 cm aortic aneurysm. Dr. Boulton had been in long open heart surgeries throughout the day but took great care in reviewing my test results and spent as much time as needed answering questions and reassuring us that my heart could be repaired. Once we determined a December surgery date, his office and staff were great!
In addition, Dr. Boulton spent a great deal of time discussing the surgery, options for valve replacement and the impending risk and recovery. December 20, 2013 - 5AM. All systems go! - Dr. Boulton showed up in pre-op giving me the thumbs up. I went to sleep and he and his team did their work. Upon completing my full open-heart surgery (both aorta repair and valve replacement) but before recovery, Dr. Boulton personally went to the family waiting room and spoke to my wife to give her the good news that everything had gone perfectly and that I was recovering well. Hours after I was recovering in CICU, Dr. Boulton and his staff continued to check in as well provide detailed follow up information and guidance.
His excellent surgical skills coupled with his compassion and genuine concern for our family was outstanding. I credit Dr. Boulton with saving my life!"
-- Randy Murray, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 12/20/2013
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Minimally invasive heart valve surgery
- Complex heart valve repair and replacement
- Aortic aneurysm and atrial fibrillation surgery
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Heart valve surgery clinical trials
- Global health: Development of cardiac surgical programs in Kenya that has matured into first fully accredited fellowship program training program in the College of Surgeons in East, Central and Southern Africa (COSECA).
- New medical device innovations
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Bryon Boulton, heart surgeon, graduated from University of Cincinnati College of Medicine in 2002.
After medical school, Dr. Boulton completed a General Surgery Residency and General Surgery Research Fellowship at the University of Cincinatti. Then, Dr. Boulton completed a Cardiothoracic Surgery Fellowship in 2012. Dr. Boulton is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
Throughout his career, Dr. Boulton has received many awards, certificate and acknowledgments including:
- Medtronic, Consultant for device design, 2022 - Tied for #1 in the nation for CABG mortality (cms.gov), 2021 - IBM Watson US Top 50 for Heart and Vascular, 2020, 2021 - COSECSA Cardiothoracic Surgery Oral Board examiner, 2021 - COSECSA Cardiothoracic Surgery Written Board, Writing Committee, 2020, 2021 - Adjunct Faculty, Department of Global Health, University of Wisconsin - PAACS Cardiothoracic Surgical Governance Council, 2018- present - Edwards Lifesciences, TAVR Proctor, 2015-2019 - AtriCure, Surgical Proctor, 2014-present - PRC Excellence in Healthcare Award – multiple years - WakeMed Petal Award – multiple years - Leadership Council (Board of Directors) Church of the Apostles, 2017-present - Triangle Business Journal – 40 under 40 Award, 2015 - Society of Thoracic Surgeons – Looking to the Future Scholarship, 2008 - American College of Surgeons - Resident Research Award, 2006 - Cincinnati Surgical Society - Resident Research Award, 2006 - Ruth L Kirschstein National Research Service Award Fellow, 2004-2006 - Traveling Medical Student Award, University of Cincinnati COM, 1999 - Miami University Undergraduate Research Scholarship Award, 1994 - Cook Communications Scholar, 1994-1997 - Ohio House of Representatives Honorary Citizen for Community Service, 1993
with Dr. Bryon Boulton, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Boulton, you can:
- Call (919) 249-5405 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Boulton is located at 3000 New Bern Avenue, Suite 1100, Raleigh, NC 27610. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Boulton’s office.
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Bryon Boulton
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Bryon Boulton:
Page last updated: November 15, 2022