About Dr. Anthony Caffarelli,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Anthony Caffarelli and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from University of California, Irvine in 2000. To date, I have performed approximately 3,500 cardiac surgeries, of which 1,500 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at the Jeffrey M. Carlton Heart & Vascular Institute at Hoag. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is utilizing a team approach to deliver personalized care to every patient. I firmly believe that “team” means Together Everyone Accomplishes More.
Our surgeons, physician assistants, nurses and staff work collaboratively to care for our patients. We believe in paying attention to every detail to provide our patients with the highest level of care and quality support 24/7, which is of the utmost importance to us.
7 Patient Reviews for
"I can't say enough about Dr. Caffarelli and his team at Hoag. After our first meeting, I knew he would do what was best for me. I went into surgery thinking I would likely have my aortic valve replaced but he ended up being able to repair it. The quality of care from his surgical team and nurses was outstanding. He has great bedside manner as well!"
-- Kristen Benedict, Aortic Valve, Valve Repair, 12/03/2021
"From our initial meeting to pre-op to post-op, Dr. Caffarelli was calming, clear, compassionate, reassuring and a great listener.
He even spoke with my 90-year old parents across the country when surgery was complete!
I was prepared and calm going into surgery and I'm now 4 weeks on my road to recovery. I can't thank Dr. Caffarelli and the Hoag team enough!"
-- Gregg Kent, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 07/14/2021
Before surgery... For the last 7 years, I have been unable to run, walk stairs, exercise or walk on an incline (ramps, hills). After this surgery, I am restored to full ability to take stairs at will, walk hills and only 148 days out of surgery I just completed a 5K walk.
I owe all of this "new life" and restored functionality to the ultra-professional surgical treatment by Dr. Caffarelli. It began with the pre-surgical treatment and the professional testing and pre-surgical preparation to the treatment by his team in the hospital and now in the after-care phase.
He is a blessing and I am incredibly thankful to Dr. Caffarelli and his team for the restoration of "better than ever" abilities I am now able to experience. Thanks!!!!"
-- Bruce Newmark, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 06/22/2021
I was surprised that during our talk I felt confident. Of course, I had confidence in Doctor Caffarelli, but I found self-confidence. I suddenly knew that with the Lord's help, my family’s support, and Doctor Caffarelli team at Hoag Hospital, my open heart surgery would end-up being just a "bump in the road".
As a lot of patients in the HeartValveSurgery.com community do, I took advantage of the educational information that Adam provides. This information enables us to understand the process. In my case, this website gave me enough information to ask the doctor to consider a suggestion for my surgery. Doctor Caffarelli listened to me and took my suggestion into consideration. I felt so involved.
The bottom line is that when I entered the consultation room, I had anxiety. When I left that room, just 20-30 minutes later, my anxiety was gone and NEVER CAME BACK.
Thanks to Dr. Caffarelli, I had a successful operation and recovery."
-- Tom Everson, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 08/19/2020
-- Randall Johnson, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 10/24/2019
-- Jaime Schvartzman, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 11/29/2018
-- Robert Robison, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, Root Replacement, 10/11/2012
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Mitral and aortic valve repairs
- Minimally-invasive cardiac surgery as well as transcatheter procedures including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR), TEER, and TEVAR
- Complex re-operative and aortic surgery
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Bicuspid aortic valve disease and aortopathy
- Genetics of aortic aneurysms
- Surgical treatments for atrial fibrillation
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Anthony Caffarelli, heart surgeon, graduated from University of California, Irvine in 2000.
After medical school, Dr. Caffarelli completed General Surgery, Cardiothoracic Surgery and Thoracic Transplantation Residencies at Stanford University Medical Center from 2000 to 2010.
Dr. Caffarelli is diplomate of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
Throughout his career, Dr. Caffarelli has received several honors and distinctions for his dedication and commitment to cardiac care:
* 2019: Director of the Elaine & Robert Matranga Aortic Center, Jeffrey M. Carlton Heart & Vascular Institute
* 2018: Director of Cardiac Surgery, Hoag Hospital
* 2016: Newkirk Family Endowed Chair in Aortic Care
* 2009: Western Thoracic Surgical Association, Norman E. Shumway Award
* 2008: Participant, Intensive Course in Clinical Research: Study Design and Performance, Stanford Center for Clinical & Translational Education & Research
* 2008: Fellow Delegate, Stanford School of Medicine Annual Strategic Leadership Retreat
* 2007: John Henry Smith, III, M.D., “Outstanding Surgical Resident of the Year” Award
* 2007: Arnold P. Gold Foundation Award for “Humanism and Excellence in Teaching”
* 2006: Administrative Chief Resident, Stanford General Surgery
* 2005: Outstanding Resident Award in Surgical Critical Care
* 2005: Resident Delegate to Association for Surgical Education
* 2003: Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research and Education Grant
* 2000: J.G. Hatfield Senior Surgical Award
with Dr. Anthony Caffarelli, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Caffarelli, you can:
- Call (949) 270-3363 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Caffarelli is located at 1 Hoag Drive, Newport Beach, CA 92663. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Caffarelli’s office.
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Anthony Caffarelli
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Anthony Caffarelli:
Page last updated: March 18, 2022