About Dr. Andrei Churyla,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Andrei Churyla and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Gomel State Medical University in 2003. To date, I have performed approximately 380 cardiac surgeries, of which 200 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is that I love helping people utilizing skills I have acquired in training. I am very approachable and communicate well with patients and their families.
11 Patient Reviews for
"I can't recommend Dr. Churyla highly enough. He repaired my rheumatic (fever) damaged mitral valve when other heart surgeons at major hospitals had told me that valve replacement would be the only option.
After he performed the Maze procedure and a double bypass, I was taken off the heart/lung machine. He observed the mitral valve leaking and went back in and repaired it. 11-hours in all.
My cardiac health is now very robust thanks to him, and I don't have to take any blood thinners. I could not be happier with Dr. Churyla."
-- Larry Johnson, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, Maze Procedure, 11/28/2018
"Dr. Churyla performed open heart surgery on me for a severe case of endocarditis. He found my tricuspid valve not functioning properly and seated it with a ring that works perfectly to this day. His communication and manner with me were exemplary. This wonderful man saved my life. Thank you Dr. Andrei Churyla!"
-- Richard Brehm, Tricuspid Valve, Valve Repair, 07/28/2018
After more than 4 hours in surgical room, he called out to waiting room to notify my family that the surgery went very well. I am so grateful to Dr. Churyla, he saved my life, so I owed my life to him and his team at Northwestern Medicine. Dr. Churyla is the best Cardiac Surgeon.
I would highly recommend him to anyone who has heart problems."
-- Suong Le, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 04/04/2018
-- Blair Nuccio, Aortic Valve, Mitral Valve, Valve Replacement, 02/25/2018
-- Barry Rotman, Aortic Valve, 12/13/2017
-- Amy Goebbert, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 11/07/2017
-- Valeria Griffin, Mitral Valve, Valve Replacement, 09/01/2017
-- Charles Lovins, Aortic Valve, Pulmonary Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, 04/21/2017
-- Gregory Nastali, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 02/02/2017
-- barbara kay schmitt, Aortic Valve, Pulmonary Valve, Mitral Valve, Tricuspid Valve, Valve Repair, 09/02/2016
-- Kim Kopija, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 08/05/2016
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Aortic valve repair and replacement
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Mitral valve repair
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)
- Arrhythmia in the setting of mitral valve disease and coronary artery disease
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Andrei Churyla, heart surgeon, graduated from Gomel State Medical University in 2003.
After medical school, Dr. Churyla completed a General Surgery Residency at Berkshire Medical Center in 2013 and a Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in 2016.
Dr. Churyla is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and has received many acknowledgments and awards during his career including:
* 1999: Certificate for the Best Medical Student Research. Gomel State Medical University Gomel * 2000: Recipient of the Scholarship for Outstanding Students of The Special Fund of the President of The Republic of Belarus * 2000: Certificate for the Best Student Research. International State Ecologic University. * 2002: Certificate for the Best Medical Student Research. Gomel State Medical University. * 1999 – 2003: Medical School Designation as Highest Honors Student * 2010: Recipient of the 2010 Society of Thoracic Surgeons “Looking to the Future” Scholarship * 2011: Recipient of the Most Valuable Resident Award * 2011 Second Place in Massachusetts Chapter of American College of Surgeons Residents * 2012: Recipient of The Robert J. Tracy Award for Excellence in Vascular Surgery, General * 2015: Finalist in JCTSE “Cardiothoracic Surgery Resident Jeopardy Competition” * 2015: Recipient of The Ralph Zupanec Surgical Award, General Surgery Residency Program at Berkshire Medical Center
with Dr. Andrei Churyla, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Churyla, you can:
- Call (888) 565-0161 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Churyla is located at 675 N. St. Clair Street, Chicago, IL 60611. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Churyla’s office.
News Featuring Dr. Churyla
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Andrei Churyla:
Page last updated: December 5, 2019