Well, it has been a while since I've posted anything so I thought I'd write a few lines..... I can't believe it has been 7 1/2 weeks since my surgery. Wow has time flown by!! For the most part I feel pretty good though as I write I'm down with a virus of some sort. If I'm not better tomorrow guess I'll go to the doctors. In July I ended up back in the hospital for a couple of days with food poisoning so I'm really not to eager to go to the doctors. I've had enough!!
I'm still getting my INR levels tested but it is now once every couple weeks. Sure can't wait for that to be over!! Work is begging me to come back..... I'm not ready yet as I still get tired very quickly. Hope they understand.
My prayers go with you all who are in recovery and who are just starting their journey. God Bless You
From My Heart to Yours...... D.
With the changing of some meds. all in all the appt. went well! Incision is healing and looking good! Still have to watch the low grade fever as the surgeon said that an infection can sometimes show up weeks later. Got the Operative Report while I was there..... Nice to know that all instruments, sponges and needles were all accounted
for! Now if I can get off this Warfarin I'll be a happy camper!! Note to "All" with upcoming surgeries..... Please
get a second opinion just to make sure everyone agrees.
If I went with what one radiologist said I would still be waiting to have surgery sometime in the future. He/she noted the dilated ascending aorta at 3.9 cm. but it was actually 4.4 cm. With the bicuspid valve along with the aortic stenosis all in all it wasn't a good combination. Now to actually go home will be great.....Can't wait for Thursday! Though I must add.... staying here at my sister's right after surgery was a good thing!
From My Heart to Yours....Stay healthy!
Wow, first few days home I felt ok with the help of pain meds. and rest, blood pressure was good...in the low hundreds. Then the crap hit the fan and it dropped to the nineties, eighties, seventies...... Goes up in the evenings.
I'm so confused. My sister who is a nurse detected an irregular heart beat. Finally am going to in for my surgical re-check today and Thursday is an appt. with my cardiologist. I still run a low grade fever. I know this will get under control but right now that seems so far away. Anyone been here???
Well, they decided to let me out of the hospital early Monday evening 6/25..... I think my crying to go home helped!
Still running a low grade fever but with the help of more meds. I've gotten my resting heart rate between 80 & 90 bpm. They did a blood culture Monday morning but don't have the results from that yet. I have to really push myself to eat, though I am liking food better. For my dear heart surgery ladies out there..... I was told that its better to wear a bra as much as possible and the Ahha Bra or Genie Bra you see advertised on TV is working great!! Light weight and easy to put on and off. (You step into and out of it.) Don't need the incision shield so if any one is out there that I can send it to please let me know....
I truly want to thank-you all from the bottom of my heart (no pun intended) for all your well wishes and prayers. I'm blessed to have found this site and the many who have gone before me and those who will be just starting out on their journey. Wow, I can't believe I'm on the road to recovery!!
From my Heart to Yours..... Much Love, Donna
Donna was released from the hospital yesterday and is staying with her sister for the next week. She is feeling better and is walking more. She will be on blood thinners for about three months and will be going to cardiac rehab starting next week.
Donna is still in the hospital. She was supposed to be released yesterday but the doctors are concerned about her resting heart rate. They said they won't release her until it goes below 100. It currently is in the 110-115 range. She said she feels better and is able to eat a little more and walks around the hospital floor several times a day, but the heart rate is concerning her. Her normal range before the surgery at resting was 65-75
Donna got her chest tubes removed today and is up walking more. She's starting to eat more and is really only having incision pain. She will be walking around the Cardiac Care Unit at least three to four times a day starting tomorrow. She tires ver easy so its gonna be a slow process
Donna was transferred from ICU to a regular cardiac recovery room this morning. All her tubes and lines with the exception of her chest tube, EKG line, and iv have been removed. She's sitting up and out of the bed a little more now and starting to eat solid food again. Another hurdle she's gotten over toward recovery!
This is Donna's husband Barry. Donna has just come out of surgery and is doing good. Donna chose the tissue valve this morning before the surgery and she got a Bovine valve. Her ascending Aorta was dilated and the aneurysm was repaired. I know the decision of what type of valve she had to choose weighed on her heavily for the last few weeks and all the support she received from this website and responses gave her some piece of mind
and helped her in her choice. THANK YOU ALL!
Well, This is probably my last post until I'm able to function again. Hopefully my husband will add a daily post until I can. Thank-you all for all your well wishes and prayers. This is going to be one heck of a journey!!!
God Bless You All....
From My Heart to Yours, Donna
Decide to clean my bedroom closet and rearrange a few things. I guess it is keeping me busy. My husband says I should just be resting but I can't stay still very long.......
I want to wish the Dad's out there Happy Father's Day! Hope you're enjoying your day relaxed and doing well. My Dad has been gone from us about 11 years now. He had a very strong heart.... It was those darn cigarettes that did him in! So please don't smoke or chew for that matter!! I hope he is watching over me and covering me with his love. I do miss him so very much.
As evening is approaching here in So. Cal. I am reminded that tomorrow is my last day before my surgery. Still lost about what to get and it is really weighing on my thoughts. If any of you read this post and are in you're early to mid fifties .... please, let me know how you feel about your valve choice and how you feel about having another surgery in the next 10 to 15 years if you chose a tissue valve. I just can't seem to decide. I want to lean toward tissue as they are coming up with new procedures but my family keeps saying mechanical so I won't have to go through this again...... or will I anyway??? Ugh!!!!!
Still not feeling great but seem to be getting better little by little. Won't be doing much this next week. My Sara (granddaughter) graduated from Pre-School today. I couldn't miss that so I picked up my Mom and off we went..... The kids sang a song about taking the time to enjoy them while they are small even if they leave finger prints all over the walls (something like that) as they won't be little for long.... Oh how my tears flowed! I have four beautiful granddaughters, each different in their own special way. I so much wished during that moment when Sara and the other Pre K children sang that my girls would stay young forever and never have to endure the pain and struggles of the older years. But since that isn't possible I need to stay around so I can watch each one make their way in this world. And maybe just in case they still want to hold Nonna's (grandma's) hand from time to time. This now brings me to the fact that every time you have OHS the possibility of having problems is that much greater....I've already had 7 other surgeries not heart related but does that still mean the risk will be greater? Ugh!!!!!!!!!
From my heart to yours.......
Surgery is 11 days away..... I think I'm fighting a cold or something. My tongue is white and pasty (sorry for the description), my throat hurts and on top of that I've had some stabbing chest pain that finally went away. Could this be nerves? Yesterday my ring finger and pinky on my left side tingled for hours, but that too went away. Tomorrow is my last day at work..... I'll rest after that....
Got a third opinion today and things made much more sense. My valve measures at 1.0 which I was told was the cut off. With the enlarged aorta in combination with this I really don't have any other option. Sudden death syndrome doesn't sound too appealing to me!! My surgeon specializes in aortic replacement in case they find it is necessary. I ordered a copy of my medical records which is always good to have in the future just in case I decided to change from Kaiser though I have never had anything but the best care from them. Also reading for myself the results of all my tests with be informative. Now if anyone can give me some feed back on the nasty chest tubes and if its painful when they are removed also feedback on taking Coumadin I'd be grateful. From my heart to yours, Thank-you
Thank-you all for responding! Wow, didn't know this blog would already mean so much.
Well, today is Pre OP ..... You all have given me help with some of the questions I need answers to. Though I have read Adam's book which says so much and my sister an RN who went through Mitral Valve repair 20 plus years ago has told me to ask this or that but I would freeze up and forget the questions in the doctors office..... Reading these post with your own personal feeling is so helpful. I have now written down my questions !!! Now lets see how this day goes!
Which kind of valve, I'm scared and are the doctors right!
Journal posted on June 2, 2012
Day One of Journal 6-2-2012 - Surgery is just over 2 weeks away and I still am unsure which type of valve to choose. Mechanical sounds right but I hate needles and my veins move and are small. (Thank-you God for the person who created the "butterfly" needle!) I can't see getting stuck week after week to have my blood tested. I'm 55 and have had many surgeries for many issues but I never have been this scared and so unsure. I have been with Kaiser Permanente for years and have been treated so well.... But is my cardiologist and the surgeon right? Cardiologist says I need it, the first surgeon said I didn't yet...2nd opinion surgeon says I need it and soon, hence surgery on the 18th.
Who is right???????????????????????????? !!!