I was pretty much in the same boat, they said I could possibly wait 6 months as there was no damage yet. Just didn't like that word yet, once the damage is done, well not good at that point. I am 3 months post-op and really glad I had it done, feel so much better. Really was only out of commission for 2.5 weeks then I was working at home and feeling great. Second opinions never hurt but if you are already having symptoms I wouldn't put it off too long. Good luck. Steve
Hi Anne and welcome to HVJ.You will get a lot of good advice here. If your doctors have told you that it is severe and you put it off there is a chance you could damage your heart. If the musle gets weak from the regurgitation it they wont be able to fix that part or if it gets enlarged. It better to fix it now than wait. Like I told my doctor when the engine light is on fix it.It could make for more problems in the long run. Get a 2nd opinion. My insurance also said to do it and so does Adam. I did and am so glad that I did, so far. Good luck to you.God will take care of you.
For the long haul
Got my Mitral valve changed 2011 dec.Long story since am over with it.Back to normal life.Depended on the opinion of my physician and lucky he had made his own hospital.His surgeon.He gave me a VIP treatment in his hospital I did not want to loose him .Getting opinions are not difficult.Only your own physician knows exactly about your condition.I had a heart failure some months back.A new physician cannot decide on your echo.Am grateful to God and my doctors.Wish you every success and health
I was 100% confident in my 1st surgeons opinion, and I still needed that 2nd voice telling you the same thing. (possibility is also that he comes back with something different, and then you have to deal with thatt...and on to a 3rd)
In the end get as many as YOU need for YOU to make the decision. Way I looked at it was I was going to be the one sliding onto the OR table and no one else, so I would get 5 consults if that is what I felt I needed. End result was I felt confident in my choice and was ready for the surgery.