About Dr. Leonard Lee,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Leonard Lee and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in 1992. To date, I have performed approximately 9,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 5,500 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is that I have long standing expertise in the treatment of valvular heart disease and have developed many of the surgical techniques utilized in minimally invasive approaches to heart valves, understanding that only 12-15% of the practicing surgeons in this country utilize any minimally invasive approaches at all. Being one of the most experienced and high-volume surgeons in this arena, I am able to tailor the treatment to best suit the needs of the patient. We are the leading center in the state for minimally invasive treatment for heart valve disease and our results speak for themselves.
1 Patient Review for
"Excellent surgeon, also performed a triple bypass. Because of some internal bleeding he had to reopen the incision. One year later, you can barely see the incision. Wonderful bedside manner and easy to communicate with."
-- Gary Hyman, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 10/26/2018
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- Minimally invasive complex mitral valve repair and double valve repair and replacement
- Surgery for complex thoracic aortic aneurysms including stent grafts and hybrid approaches
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Early Recovery After Surgery (ERAS)
- Minimally invasive approaches to complex heart disease
- Basic science research lab focusing on a glycoprotein (CREG1) and its potential role in the development of type II diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and cellular therapies for cardiac repair
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Leonard Lee, heart surgeon, graduated from Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in 1992.
After medical school, Dr. Lee completed his general surgery residency at St. Vincent’s Hospital and Medical Center at New York Medical College in 1997. He served two years in the basic science lab of Todd Rosengart, M.D. and Ron Crystal, M.D. at New York Hospital – Cornell Medical Center and focused on gene therapy research for the treatment of cardiovascular diseases culminating in an NHLBI sponsored human trial. He then completed fellowship training in cardiothoracic surgery at New York Hospital – Cornell Medical Center and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in 2001.
Today, Dr. Lee is the Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs for Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson’s Medical School and the Vice President for Clinical Affairs for Rutgers Health Group. Most recently, in February 2018, he was appointed the permanent Chair for the Department of Surgery at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital.
Dr. Lee has received many acknowledgements and awards for his commitment to heart and valvular therapy including:
* Board Member, American Heart Association (AHA), Eastern Region
* Member, American Association for Thoracic Surgeons (AATS)
* Member, Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
* Member, International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery (ISMICS)
* NJ Biz, Healthcare Heroes, Physician of the Year Finalist – 2019
* Harvey E. Nussbaum, Distinguished Service Award from American Heart Association (AHA) – 2018
* Dexur, 2019 Anonymous Claims Database, Top 3 New Jersey Valve Surgery, Top 100 United States Valve Surgery
* Leadership Council, Marfan’s Foundation – 2019
* State of NJ, Department of Health Cardiovascular Health Advisory Panel (CHAP)
* Jersey Choice Top Doctors
* Castle Connolly Top Doctors
* Best Doctors in America
* Fellow of the American College of Cardiology
* Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
* Fellow of the American College of Chest Physicians
* Paul C. Samson Award, Western Thoracic Surgical Association
* Distinguished House Staff Award, New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Medical College of Cornell University
Dr. Lee is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.
with Dr. Leonard Lee, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Lee, you can:
- Call (888) 383-4030 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Lee is located at 125 Paterson St., Clinical Academic Building Suite 4100, New Brunswick, NJ 08901. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Lee’s office.
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Leonard Lee
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Leonard Lee:
Page last updated: May 13, 2021