About Dr. James Wudel,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. James Wudel and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Emory School of Medicine in 1987. To date, I have performed approximately 5,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 2,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at Sanford Health. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is my commitment to successful patient results.
With over 20 years of experience in complex surgical operations and a dedicated heart team of nurses, anesthesiologists and perfusionists, I have been able to achieve superb clinical outcomes.
3 Patient Reviews for
"Dr. Wudel performed the surgery that gave me back my life. His skill, kindness and concern were all awesome"
-- Darlene Holecek, heart valve surgery patient
"Dr. Wudel is a very skillful, knowledgeable and kind professional thoracic surgeon. He explained the procedure before surgery and after. His bedside manner was caring and the surgery/recovery was “just what the doctor ordered”. We would definitely refer him."
-- William Tusa, Aortic Valve, 04/12/2021
-- orville dean, Mitral Valve, Valve Replacement, 05/08/2016
While I hope never to need another surgery, I would unhesitatingly trust my life to him again if necessary."
-- Darlene Holecek, Mitral Valve, Valve Replacement, 02/18/2014
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Minimally invasive aortic valve surgery
- Mitral valve surgery
- Atrial fibrillation (Afib)
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Principal Investigator for PARTNER II and SAPIEN 3i TAVR trials
- Principal Investigator for COAPT MitraClip mitral valve repair trial
- Coronary artery disease and Afib treatment
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. James Wudel, heart surgeon, graduated from Emory School of Medicine in 1987.
After medical school, Dr. Wudel completed a General Surgery Residency in 1994 at Vanderbilt. Then, he completed a Cardiothoracic Surgery Residency in 1997 at University of California San Francisco and the Cleveland Clinic.
Dr Wudel is board certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board Thoracic Surgery.
with Dr. James Wudel, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Wudel, you can:
- Call (605) 937-7972 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Wudel is located at 1301 W. 18th St., Sioux Falls, SD 57105. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Wudel’s office.
News & Online References Featuring Dr. James Wudel
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. James Wudel:
- FDA Approves SAPIEN 3 for Valve-in-Valve Procedures
- Surgeon Q&A: Different TAVR Access Points
- Child Birth for Patients with Bicuspid Aortic Valves & Aneurysms
- "What About TAVR for Bicuspid Aortic Valves?" with Dr. James Wudel
- Expert Surgeon Profile: James Wudel, MD at Sanford Health in Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Page last updated: July 21, 2021