UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute provides nationally acclaimed cardiovascular and thoracic care right here in Central Pennsylvania. Our combined experience, leading edge technology and collaborative approach allow us to provide patients with access to the most advanced treatment options, including a range of clinical trials.
A pioneer in cardiovascular health since 1956, we were the first in the region to perform open heart surgery and the first to perform coronary artery balloon angioplasty. Other "firsts" include the implantation of a drug-eluting coronary stent, percutaneous (minimally invasive) aortic valve procedures (TAVR) and FDA-approved percutaneous mitral valve device.
Focus on the Patient
Putting the needs of our patients first has been the cornerstone of the structural heart program at UPMC. From personalized contact with our dedicated nurse coordinator to our commitment to providing the least invasive treatments available, our goal is to provide state-of-the-art, compassionate care for our patients.
The structural heart program at UPMC in Central Pennsylvania offers our patients:
- Rapid evaluation and treatment
- Personalized care with insight from a team of experts, including Cardiovascular imaging specialists, structural interventional cardiologists, cardiovascular surgeons and nurses
- Dedicated valve clinic nurse coordinator to answer your questions
- Coordination of procedures, tests, screenings and specialist appointments with your convenience in mind
- Access to the latest advances in cardiovascular care: Food & Drug Administration (FDA)-approved therapies, new devices available through clinical research trials, comprehensive management of heart valve disorders from diagnosis through treatment
- Extensive experience with transcatheter technology
- Excellent outcomes recognized at the state and national level
Meet Our Heart Valve Specialists
UPMC Harrisburg has assembled a special team of heart valve specialists that are committed to getting patients the best results. Our team consists of many leading surgeons and cardiologists that you can learn more about by clicking the links below:
Our Patients Say
Nancy has had high blood pressure for years and has been following with a cardiologist to monitor her heart. Her cardiologist told Nancy that she now had aortic stenosis that needed treatment or she was more ...
Nancy has had high blood pressure for years and has been following with a cardiologist to monitor her heart. Her cardiologist told Nancy that she now had aortic stenosis that needed treatment or she was more likely to have a stroke or heart attack. Nancy went to see Hemal Gada, MD, president of UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute at UPMC Central Pennsylvania and structural interventional cardiologist.
Dr. Gada recommended transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). She was home the next day after her procedure, and even took a walk down the street to show her neighbor how well she felt. Nancy says, “I would do it again, because it was so easy.”