About Dr. Michael Mack,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Michael Mack and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from St. Louis University in 1974. To date, I have performed approximately over 7,000 cardiac surgeries, of which over 3,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at hospitals including Baylor Scott & White The Heart Hospital - Plano and Medical City Dallas. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is my experience of over 30 years performing heart surgery. During that time, I have performed over 7,000 operations and developed relationships that have allowed me to have access to the world’s foremost leaders in heart valve surgery. Currently, over 90% of my practice is devoted solely to treating patients with heart valve problems.
I was fortunate enough to be a member of the surgical team that performed the world’s first transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) by the transapical approach (through the tip of the heart) in Leipzig, Germany in 2004. I have also published over 70 scientific articles devoted solely to the treatment of patients with heart valve problems in just the past 2 years.
I have also been fortunate to be practicing heart valve surgery in an hospital (Heart Hospital Baylor Plano) that is the fourteenth largest heart valve program in the U.S. The valve surgery program is also the second largest one in Texas and the Southwest. This helps give assurance to any patient with heart valve problems that if I don’t personally possess the knowledge and expertise necessary to treat their problem, my 4 surgical colleagues (soon to be 6) with whom I practice certainly do.
Another of our strengths is the multidisciplinary heart team that we have developed at our hospital. Our heart team is comprised not only of surgeons but also experts in cardiology, anesthesiology, imaging and nursing. This gives assurance to patients with heart valve problems that they will have direct access to team members who have expertise in in all aspects of treating heart valve problems and not just surgery.
What further strengthens my ability to help patients with heart valve problems is that over the years, I have had the opportunity to meet the acquaintance of virtually every heart valve expert in the world. Being able to draw on these relationships and having access to the world’s experts, helps me assure the patients whom I have the privilege of treating, that they will truly be receiving “world class” care.
5 Patient Reviews for
"Every aspect of my surgery was smooth and without incident. I credit Dr. Mack with my surgeries success. "
-- Claudia Sabedra, Aortic Valve, Pulmonary Valve, Valve Replacement, Mini Sternotomy, 11/18/2013
"Dr. Michael Mack saved my life. I have never written about a Doctor before, but I feel great. If not for him, I would not be here. What more can I say. Not sure what else he did in there, but it worked. Thank you!"
-- Patricia Brandon-McCarty, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, Maze Procedure, 02/01/2013
-- Rebecca R, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, Mini Sternotomy, 10/31/2011
-- Joe Denney, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 06/12/2008
-- Renee Cutcher, Pulmonary Valve, 02/14/1989
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- Mitral valve repair
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacement
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Transcatheter heart valve procedures
- Minimally invasive heart valve surgery
- Developing national and international databases to measure outcomes of patients with heart valve disease
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Michael Mack, heart surgeon, graduated from St. Louis University in 1974.
During his career, Dr. Mack has completed three residencies including (i) internal medicine at the University of Minnesota in 1976, (ii) general surgery at University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 1980, and (iii) thoracic surgery at University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in 1982.
Currently, Dr. Mack maintains board certifications from the American Board of Thoracic Surgery and the American Board of Internal Medicine.
As shown below, Dr. Mack has received several awards and special credentials including:
* Chief of Cardiac Surgery, Baylor Health Care System * Society of Thoracic Surgeons, Distinguished Service Award Recipient, 2013 * Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS), President, 2012 * Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS), Presidential Address, 2012 * American College of Cardiology (ACC), 2012 Presidential Citation Award * American College of Cardiology Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2013-2018 * Fellow, American College of Cardiology, 2011-present * Thoracic Surgery Foundation for Research & Education (TSFRE), President 2009-2011 * Southern Thoracic Surgical Association (STSA), President, 2011 * Southern Thoracic Surgical Association, Presidential Address, 2011 * International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery, President, 2000 * Denton Cooley Lecture, 2012 * 91st American Association of Thoracic Surgeons (AATS) Honored Lecturer, 2011 * Victor Chang Memorial Lecture, 2011 * 3rd Annual Shumway Lecture – Stanfor University, 2010
with Dr. Michael Mack, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Mack, you can:
- Call (866) 306-8013 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Mack is located at 4708 Alliance Blvd., Plano, TX 75093. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Mack’s office.
News & Online References Featuring Dr. Michael Mack
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Michael Mack:
- Patient Success Story: Harolyn Looks This Good 60-Minutes After TAVR
- New Research: MitraClip is a "Game Changer" for Patients
- 1000 TAVRs for The Heart Hospital Baylor Plano
- Surgeon Q&A: Can TAVR Be Used for Bicuspid Aortic Valves?
- Top 20 Facts Patients Should Know About COVID-19 & Heart Valve Disease
- National Patient Survey Reveals Missed Opportunities for Heart Valve Clinical Trials
- Expert Surgeon Profile: Michael Mack, MD, at Baylor Scott & White Health in Plano, Texas
Page last updated: December 1, 2020