About Dr. Shinichi Fukuhara,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Shinichi Fukuhara and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Keio University School of Medicine (Japan) in 2006. To date, I have performed approximately 800 cardiac surgeries, of which 615 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at The University of Michigan Frankel Cardiovascular Center. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is that I frequently perform the Ross Procedure, which only handful of surgeons are able to perform in the country. This procedure can be done even in patients with previous open heart surgery with a failed aortic prosthetic valve.
I frequently perform complex aortic valve repair, which potentially provides very long-term durability of the valve function without any blood thinners.
1 Patient Review for
"Dr. Fukuhara is very kind and respectful. At our initial consultation, he was attentive and took the time to answer questions. The appointment was very unhurried. My surgery went very smoothly and without complications.
My incision is only 3 inches long and healed well. I did experience atrial fibrillation for 5 weeks after surgery but Dr. Fukuhara and is staff helped me through it and the Afib stopped after 5 weeks and has not reoccurred. I feel very lucky to have had my valve replacement performed by such a skilled surgeon and can definitely recommend him to others."
-- Nancy Manning, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Mini Sternotomy, 11/15/2019
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Complex aortic valve repair
- Ozaki’s procedure and Ross procedure
- Valve-sparing aortic root re-implantation (David procedure)
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Optimal surgical strategy for aortic valve disease
- Ross procedure
- Endovascular aortic repair and innovative device development
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Shinichi Fukuhara, heart surgeon, graduated from Keio University School of Medicine (Japan) in 2006.
After medical school, Dr. Fukuhara completed several residencies and fellowships including:
* Fellowship, Advanced Aortic and Endovascular Surgery, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH (2018) * Fellowship, Aortic Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA (2017) * Residency, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY (2016) * Residency, General Surgery, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY (2014) * Residency, Cardiovascular Surgery, Keio University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan (2010) * Residency, General Surgery, Keio University Hospital, Tokyo, Japan (2009) * Internship/Residency, General Surgery, Saiseikai Utsunomiya Hospital, Tochigi, Japan (2008)
Dr. Fukuhara is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. In addition, Dr. Fukuhara has received a special credential for aortic valve reconstruction using autologous pericardium (Ozaki's procedure).
with Dr. Shinichi Fukuhara, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Fukuhara, you can:
- Call (888) 416-8640 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Fukuhara is located at 1500 E. Medical Center Dr., Ann Arbor, MI 48104. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Fukuhara’s office.
News Featuring Dr. Fukuhara
Here is the latest news featuring Dr. Shinichi Fukuhara:
Page last updated: June 26, 2020