About Dr. Mauricio Villavicencio,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Mauricio Villavicencio and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile in 1997. Mayo Clinic performs more than 4,500 cardiac surgeries each year. We are experts in treating pediatric, congenital and complex forms of heart valve disease using minimally invasive procedures including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and robotic mitral valve repair. In addition, Mayo Clinic specializes in treating cardiac conditions often related to heart valve disease including atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease and aortic aneurysms. I regularly perform surgery at hospitals including Mayo Clinic Hospital and Saint Marys Campus. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is my clinical focus in the following:
* Heart valve surgery and concomitant surgery for atrial fibrillation (Maze procedure).
* Coronary artery bypass grafting, with emphasis in arterial re-vascularization and complex cases.
* Acute and durable mechanical circulatory support, including ECMO and ventricular assist devices.
* End-stage heart and lung failure surgery, with a special interest in heart and lung transplantation.
* Surgery for heart tumors, aortic root, ascending aorta, and endocarditis.
1 Patient Review for
"Dr. Villavicencio is a super guy. All the staff at Mayo Clinic was so much better than the other hospital I was going to."
-- Debbie Wade, Mitral Valve, Tricuspid Valve, Valve Repair, 09/15/2021
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Aortic valve repair and replacement, aortic root surgery, aneurysm surgery
- Mitral valve repair and replacement
- Tricuspid valve repair and replacement, Maze procedure
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Heart and lung transplantation outcomes
- Ex-vivo organ preservation
- Donation after circulatory death and expanded criteria donors
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Mauricio Villavicencio, heart surgeon, graduated from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile in 1997.
After medical school, Dr. Villavicencio completed a General Surgery Residency in 2000 at University de Chile and a Cardiovascular Surgery Residency in 2003 at Instituto Nacional del Torax. Next, he completed Fellowships at Mayo Clinic in Advanced Cardiovascular Surgery in 2005 and Cardiopulmonary Transplantation in 2006. Dr. Villavicencio completed additional Fellowships in Thoracic Transplantation in 2007 at Freeman Hospital and Thoracic Transplantation and Assist Devices in 2015 at Duke University. Dr. Villavicencio also earned his MBA in Health Administration at Universidad Andres Bello in 2013.
Dr. Villavicencio is board certified in General Surgery and Thoracic / Cardiovascular Surgery by CONACEM in Chile.
with Dr. Mauricio Villavicencio, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Villavicencio, you can:
- Call (507) 522-5647 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Villavicencio is located at 200 First Street SW, Rochester, MN 55905. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Villavicencio’s office.
Page last updated: June 29, 2022