About Dr. Gosta Pettersson,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Gosta Pettersson and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Gothenburg University - Sweden in 1971. To date, I have performed approximately 15,000 cardiac surgeries, of which 3,000 involved heart valve procedures. I regularly perform surgery at Cleveland Clinic. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is that I have extensive experience with complex pathologies in very complex patients suffering from heart valve disease.
I enjoy my field of practice and focusing on giving people hope, especially in complex reoperation cases. I appreciate having something to give in order to make a difference in people’s lives.
12 Patient Reviews for
"I would like to thank Dr. Gosta Pettersson and his entire surgical team for successfully performing a Bentall Procedure on me (6) weeks ago. Dr. Pettersson you truly are one of the best surgeon's in the world.
I would also like to thank the nurses who took care of me for (3) days in ICU and the nurses who took are of me during my time in the step-down unit.
Last, but not least I would like to personally thank (Marty) for taking such wonderful care of me during my stay. Your an amazing person and the Cleveland Clinic is fortunate to have you as an employee.
The Bentall procedure is a very delicate cardiac surgery operation involving a composite graft replacement of the aortic valve, aortic root and ascending aorta, with re-implantation of the coronary arteries into the graft including the implantation of a mechanical valve."
-- Gavino Veyrano, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Root Replacement, 08/15/2016
"Dr. Pettersson replaced my old heart valve replacement and repaired a third one. This was my 7th heart surgery."
-- Jeff Peters, Aortic Valve, Mitral Valve, Tricuspid Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, 02/15/2016
I did so much research on Dr Pettersson that from our first handshake I knew I was in the best of hands. He is a perfectionist. The staff and nurses provided me with absolute quality care.
Thank you Dr Pettersson and the Cleveland Clinic for giving me back the wonderful life I am enjoying now 2 years post op!"
-- Kathy Lee, Aortic Valve, Mitral Valve, Tricuspid Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 07/20/2012
-- Andrea Caporale, Aortic Valve, Pulmonary Valve, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, Root Replacement, 11/22/2010
-- Rosemary Walton, Aortic Valve, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, 10/29/2010
-- Ray Harman, Aortic Valve, Mitral Valve, Valve Repair, Valve Replacement, Median Sternotomy, 07/15/2010
-- Charles Bishop, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 04/02/2010
-- Alice Ruffing, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 02/08/2010
-- keli coleman, Aortic Valve, Valve Repair, 02/03/2009
-- Claude LaPerle, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 01/20/2009
-- John Ottesen, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 02/15/2008
-- Chris Rockerd, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, 02/01/2008
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Adult Congenital Heart Surgery,
- Aortic Valve Repair and Preservation (including remodeling and reimplantation) and Replacement (including homograft and Ross Procedure
- Surgical treatment of patients with endocarditis
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Complex Operations - with Emphasis on Reoperations
- Aortic Vale and Root Procedures with Emphasis on Valve Repair and Sparing Procedures
- Endocarditis, right ventricular function, adult congenital heart disease
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Gosta Pettersson, heart surgeon, graduated from Gothenburg University - Sweden in 1971.
After medical school, Dr. Pettersson completed a Thoracic Surgery Residency in 1981. In addition to being board certified in the United States, Dr. Pettersson is also certified by the European Board of Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgeons for Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery.
During his career, Dr. Pettersson has received many acknowledgements, awards and special credentials including:
* 2013 - Master Clinician Award, Cleveland Clinic, Innovations & Patents, bronchial artery revascularization in lung transplantation * 2010 – Bruce Hubbard Stewart Memorial Award for Humanistic Medicine, Cleveland Clinic * 2007 - Peter and Elizabeth C. Tower and Family Endowed Chair in Cardiothoracic Research, Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute * Honorary Member, Finnish Surgical Society * Honorary Member, Lithuanian Thoracic Surgery Society * Honorary Member, Romanian Scientific Society * Bruce Hubbard Steward Award for Humanistic Medicine
with Dr. Pettersson
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Pettersson, you can:
- Call (888) 470-4836 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Pettersson is located at 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Pettersson’s office.