About Dr. Frank Downey,
Heart Valve Surgeon
Hello! My name is Dr. Frank Downey and I am a cardiac surgeon having graduated from Medical College of Ohio in 1986. Mayo Clinic performs more than 4,500 cardiac surgeries each year. We are experts in treating pediatric, congenital and complex forms of heart valve disease using minimally invasive procedures including transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) and robotic mitral valve repair. In addition, Mayo Clinic specializes in treating cardiac conditions often related to heart valve disease including atrial fibrillation, coronary artery disease and aortic aneurysms. I regularly perform surgery at Mayo Clinic Hospital. Read more...
I believe my greatest strength is with the experience of over 28 years in practice, I’ve learned which patients need surgery and which do not. It takes a great deal of experience to know who will, and who will not, benefit from surgery.
2 Patient Reviews for
"Excellent surgeon and excellent surgical team. Dr. Downey has been very responsive to my needs and has answered my questions quickly and thoroughly. I would recommend Dr. Downey and the Mayo Clinic Arizona team to anyone."
-- Donna Crutcher, Aortic Valve, Valve Replacement, Root Replacement, 07/07/2021
"Dr. Downey has good communication skills, precise information, and good results."
-- James Valerio, Mitral Valve, Valve Replacement, 09/23/2020
My Specialities &
My heart surgery specialties include:
- Adult reconstructive and reparative cardiothoracic surgery
- Cardiac transplantation and mechanical ventricular assist device therapy for end stage heart disease
In addition, I have research and clinical interests specific to:
- Adult cardiothoracic surgery
Education, Training & Certificates
Dr. Frank Downey, heart surgeon, graduated from Medical College of Ohio in 1986.
After medical school, Dr. Downey completed a General Surgery Residency at Blodgett Memorial Medical Center in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in 1991. Next he completed a Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery Residency at Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine in Maywood, Illinois, in 1993.
Dr. Downey is board certified by the American Board of Surgery, The American Board of Thoracic Surgery and the National Board of Medical Examiners.
Throughout his career, Dr. Downey has received many awards and acknowledgments including:
* Best Physicians - Cardiothoracic Surgery - Milwaukee Magazine, 2000 * Best Physicians - Cardiothoracic Surgery - Milwaukee Magazine, 2008 * Berg-Leffingwell Award - Department of Spiritual Care, Aurora St. Luke's Medical Center, 2011 * Best Physicians - Cardiothoracic Surgery - Milwaukee Magazine, 2012 * Best Physicians - Cardiothoracic Surgery - Milwaukee Magazine, 2013 * Best Doctors - Milwaukee Business Journal, 2016 * Best Doctors - Milwaukee Magazine, 2016 * Best Doctors - Milwaukee Business Journal, 2017 * Best Doctors - Milwaukee Business Journal, 2018 * Best Doctors - Milwaukee Magazine, 2018 * Health Care Heroes - Physician Award - Milwaukee BizTimes, 2018 * Best Doctors - Milwaukee Business Journal, 2019 * Best Doctors - Milwaukee Magazine, 2019
with Dr. Frank Downey, MD
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Downey, you can:
- Call (480) 530-7179 right now
- Request an appointment by clicking here.
The office of Dr. Downey is located at 5777 E Mayo Blvd., Phoenix, AZ 85054. To get driving directions to this office, please click the map below.
> Click for driving directions to Dr. Downey’s office.
Page last updated: November 1, 2021