Top 10 Heart Valve Stories of 2014!
During 2014, our community actively discussed many topics specific to the management and the treatment of heart valve disease. As we prepare to enter 2015, I thought it might be helpful to look back at the stories that generated the most interest and social sharing during the past twelve months.
10. Our patient community rallied around Bernie Marcus, Home Depot co-founder, who donated $20 million to Piedmont Health, in Atlanta, Georgia, to advance valvular research and therapy at the new Marcus Heart Valve Center. This post had 200+ social shares across Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, etc.
9. In August, we remembered the life, the work and the comedy of Robin Williams, who had double heart valve surgery in 2009.
8. Last January, we were very fortunate to learn about the extraordinary story of Jessie Rees, her foundation and the wonderful impact that JoyJars are having on children diagnosed with cancer and heart disease. Attending the JoyJar event sponsored by Edwards Lifesciences was beyond touching.
7. Many people in our community are fascinated by the new technologies advancing valvular therapy. So, when the FDA announced that the CoreValve, a new transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) device, received an accelerated approval, this CoreValve update became an instant hit.
6. During the past 3 years, I’ve had a great time making educational videos about heart valve surgery. This video with Dr. Alfredo Trento about robotic mitral valve repair quickly circulated around our community with 300+ social shares.
5. In August, we relaunched HeartValveSurgery.com with over 200 new features. Our community quickly embraced the new platform. To see the relaunch post, click here.
4. With 600+ social shares, our new Mitral Regurgitation Infographic circulated throughout our community faster than expected. This educational resources helps patients, their families and friends learn about mitral valve disorders and their treatment.
3. Our Live Educational Webinar Series continues to be an effective way for people to learn about heart valve surgery from leading surgeons and cardiologists. In November, Dr. Robert Bonow and Dr. Patrick McCarthy hosted a special webinar titled, “Timing Heart Valve Surgery”. After the webinar, we posted a free eBook with the written transcript from the event. In just a few days, the eBook was downloaded more than 2,000 times.
2. With 800+ social shares, the patient success story of Shannon Coughlin touched, moved and inspired our community. 🙂
1. As for the number one post of the year… It might be no surprise to you… That the number one post of 2014 also featured a webinar. In June, Dr. Allan Stewart and I hosted the “Advances In Aortic Valve Surgery” webinar. Since then, our free eBook has been downloaded over 3,000 times!!!
There you have it! Our top heart valve stories for 2014!
As we enter 2015, I would like to thank each and every member of our community — the patients, the families, the friends, the surgeons, the cardiologists, the cardiac centers and our sponsors — for your fantastic support of this website. I can not express how thankful I am for your contribution to this wonderful community.
All the best in 2015!!!
Adam Pick is a patient, author of The Patient's Guide To Heart Valve Surgery and the founder of HeartValveSurgery.com.