Home > Adam's Blog > What Is...

What Is The Life Expectancy After Heart Valve Replacement Surgery?

Posted by Adam Pick on November 5th, 2007

I’m on day three of my work trip through Japan. So far, Tokyo is very impressive and… very crowded! I almost had a panic attack walking through the train stations this morning. So many people! I’ve since learned that Tokyo is one of the most populated cities in the world, with a population over 12 million.

Needless to say, the jet lag is still overwhelming considering I live in Los Angeles. That said, I’ve had some extra, early morning hours to dig through my inbox and answer some questions. I just received an interesting question about life expectancy after heart surgery. It reads, “Adam – Do you know what the life expectancy is for patients after heart valve surgery?”

That is a great question. Unfortunately, it is a very tough question to answer. As for life expectancy after heart valve surgery, it’s almost as difficult to answer, “How long will a mechanical mitral valve last?”

I say that because heart valve surgery is a relatively new area of medicine. Cardiac surgery, bypass operations, etc. have only really been around for thirty or forty years. For this reason, researchers are still developing their datasets as they track the lives of heart valve surgery patients.

However, there is some data about life expectancy after heart surgery that I just found at St. Jude Medicals One Valve For Life website. According to their research, “the mean age of patients presenting for valve surgery is increasing, as is the life expectancy following valve surgery.”

The data collected thus far is very encouraging, as shown above. I say that because, as a double heart valve surgery patient, I want to live as long as humanly possible! I’m just about to complete year two following my aortic and pulmonary valve replacements.

So you know… Last week, I received a very nice email from a patient who had her valve replaced 34 years ago. Yep. You read that right. 34 years!!!

I hope this helps you better understand life expectancy after heart valve surgery.

srikanth vasireddy says on December 25th, 2008 at 10:00 am

Adam,

Thanks for the information provided. This helps boost ones confidence and helps a lot. Thanks again. There are no words to explain the confidence one gets.

Nagendra Tripathi says on February 13th, 2009 at 11:45 pm

Adam,

The encouraging information that you provided gave me deep mental peace and certainty that my spouse WILL live long and we will grow old together and play with our grand children.

Muna says on March 5th, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Nagendra, you made me cry. I am crying now………..I hope that I will be able to grow older with my husband and will play with my grand children. I have mechanical valve for 14 years. I am speechless…..but thanks for the article, looks like I am going to live longer.

carolyn barney says on September 6th, 2009 at 8:53 am

Great website Adam, thanks, imagine all the people you are helping!!
I just found out that I have an insufficient aortic valve with reguritation of blood back into my left ventricle. Right now my symptoms are very mild, but I do have them, and I know at some point in the futrue I will need to undergo the replacement operation. I have read everywhere, and I am confused about life expectancy after valve replacement. Can we patients receive a second valve replacement, after many years of the first replacement working ?? One article said that this surgery is very rare. I would really like to know if I can only expect to live as long as the first original replacement lasts. Thank you, keep it up!!

Gail says on January 2nd, 2010 at 9:58 am

Adam, your website is an answer to my prayers. The last time I researched “life expectancy after valve replacement,” the information I gathered was less encouraging than your response. I’ve had a mitral valve repair that was followed 3 years later by a replacement with a St. Jude’s valve. Even though I exercise, try to eat right, and take medication, I still battle high blood pressure. This concerns me because I understand that hbp puts undue stress on the mechanical valve. The fear of a third surgery lurks in the back of my mind. However, I try to focus on the daily gift of life that God blesses me with each morning. With each new day, there’s the hope that new advancements in science will provide even more positive results for everyone with health issues. Thank you for passing on valuable information to all of us “valvers!” God bless…

Mary Hebard Loera says on August 15th, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I am coming up on 20 years with a St Jude 19mm aortic valve. I feel great and am 66 years old. I guess i will live another 20 years if the estimates are correct!!

David West says on September 8th, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I had a aorta valve & root replacement when I was 51 so I guess I will live another 29.9 years according to your Graph. Has anyone had the stainless steel Valve replaced just before the expected valve lifespan? Or even has this ever been attempted?

Arif Khan says on October 19th, 2010 at 6:01 am

Thank you very much Adams. You are so Great. I am so glad to see your courage and encourages the others like me. Your story is just like me but the difference is that I am just 21 years old and you may be of 35. I am a student and wanna long live. God bless you and other Friends with heart surgery. Thanx a lot once again

Austin says on December 9th, 2011 at 12:53 am

Hey Adam, I’m 28 and have had three open heart surgeries in my life. the third one last december, had my mitrol and aortic valves replaced. Mechanical double leaflet valves is what I got, my heart ticks like a high hat on a drumset creating intricate beats. Anyway, thought this post was interesting, I’m of course curious about my chances of living to a ripe old age. Truth is they don’t know you and I are a new emerging demographic, I had my first surgery when I was 6 months old. They look at me like I’m some rare gold mine of scientific knowledge. Everytime I go to see my doctor I got 2 to 3 newbs in the white checking out the rare specimen of congenital heart desease still going strong like the energizer bunny. Hit me up with some commentary man!

Sandra Graham says on September 1st, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I had my aortic valve replaced nearly 18 years ago when I was 42 years old. My surgeon implanted a St. Jude’s 21 mm valve. I have led a normal life since then. I have had very few complications. I manage my warfarin therapy by testing at home each week and reporting results to an anticoagulation clinic.

Jim says on May 8th, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I reached the age of 60 in April. The doctors are talking about valve replacement in October.
I was informed that my Aortic bicuspid was actually a dual flap valve vice a three flap valve and apparently is strained to the point that I have developed a severe murmur and they believe I am requiring a replacement.
They have mentioned four different types of replacements; cow, pig, cadaver, or mechanical. I have read a number of articles but am not able to determine which (if any) would be the best choice.
An educated or experienced recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Lewis says on June 19th, 2013 at 5:24 pm

Had my Aortic valve replaced in 1987 at the age of 32 with a St. Jude mechanical valve. Now 26 years later I feel better than ever!

Sherry says on June 21st, 2013 at 10:11 pm

This post was so encouraging. I was very depressed after reading other studies that gave as little as five years life expectancy after alve replacement. My surgery was in October 2012 (bovine) and I am 60. The prospect of as little as five years was very disturbing. I know there are no guarantees but honestly I was thinking making plans for retirement were just hopeless dreaming. Maybe not. I was reasonably healthy before surgery and no serious physical complications after surgery. So hopefully I can look forward to living out a typical lifespan. I love this site and will always be grateful to Adam! God bless you always!

Jim says on September 5th, 2013 at 10:37 am

I am 60 and have had a heart murmur for a few years. They are now saying that I have aortic stenosis and my valve needs to be replaced.
I am encouraged by what I read; unfortunately I am unable to find any reference to doctors in the Seattle Washington area that are “the best”.
I am guessing that the St Jude mechanical replacement size is based upon your heart size. The 19mm and 21 mm have great reviews, but being new to all this I wonder where I fit.

Bob Lewis says on September 5th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

26 years here with my St. Jude aortic valve!

Bob Lewis says on September 5th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Jim ;
Your surgeon will determine the size valve that you need

Jim says on September 17th, 2013 at 11:46 am